• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G Pulchra Advice Needed

Richieha2012

Hey guys, many of you have helped me out on the Terrestial Suggestions thread I posted on General Discussion. I’m starting this one for advice or guidance on raising my G Pulchra sling. I’ve never raised them (or any sling this small) before.
I noticed that this morning, the spiderling had found the burrow I started for it underneath the cork bark, and had completely covered the entrance. I know some species do this regularly, and some do it for molting. It has been refusing food, but I’ve only had the sling since Thursday (January 14, 2021) so I have no idea if it’s due to being stressed or not.

Attachments

• A9C4AB31-9551-4EB1-95BF-160D2DADE6DB.jpeg
    A9C4AB31-9551-4EB1-95BF-160D2DADE6DB.jpeg
    465.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 91C47B0C-C03F-4CC0-8091-5107399AB947.jpeg
    91C47B0C-C03F-4CC0-8091-5107399AB947.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Usually when they are rehoused they will do this. Normal behavior. They have been known to fast, as well, for long periods of time. I would continue to offer food once a week. Eventually, it will hunt once it adjusts to its new surroundings. Nice setup! Might I ask, what size is your sling and what size is your enclosure?

Richieha2012

Usually when they are rehoused they will do this. Normal behavior. They have been known to fast, as well, for long periods of time. I would continue to offer food once a week. Eventually, it will hunt once it adjusts to its new surroundings. Nice setup! Might I ask, what size is your sling and what size is your enclosure?
I was thinking it would be something like that, but I am not super familiar with the growth rate of the Pulchras. I’m not 100% sure of the exact sizes. I believe the sling is between 3/4” - 1” and the enclosure is about 5.5” long or so. The sling

Richieha2012

I was thinking it would be something like that, but I am not super familiar with the growth rate of the Pulchras. I’m not 100% sure of the exact sizes. I believe the sling is between 3/4” - 1” and the enclosure is about 5.5” long or so. The
I don’t know how “the sling” was added to the end lol

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It may be a tad too big for your sling. I'd start it out with a deli cup. Then once it reaches about 1.5-2" I'd put it in the container you have it in now. :)

Richieha2012

Awesome! Thank you guys for the enclosure suggestions. I’ll see what I can do, but as of currently that’s the smallest thing I’ve got. I’ll keep my eyes open for anything smaller though!
I do have another question about them. Obviously a sling is way too small to start trying to sex it, but at what size would you guys recommend for me to start looking? I’ve never done it myself, but I’m wanting to start looking at their molts when my T’s get big enough to do so.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Awesome! Thank you guys for the enclosure suggestions. I’ll see what I can do, but as of currently that’s the smallest thing I’ve got. I’ll keep my eyes open for anything smaller though!
I do have another question about them. Obviously a sling is way too small to start trying to sex it, but at what size would you guys recommend for me to start looking? I’ve never done it myself, but I’m wanting to start looking at their molts when my T’s get big enough to do so.

Usually 1.5-2"

Latest posts