• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. Puchara (Brazilian black) Sexing, Thinking Male?

Hi.
Here I have a Grammastola Pulchra, I suspect possibly male?
But need someone to comment that can do ventral sexing.
This one is about 30/33mm DLS... I would say not much bigger than a little over one inch.

Many Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_1633.jpg
    DSC_1633.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 140
  • DSC_1635.jpg
    DSC_1635.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_1637.jpg
    DSC_1637.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_1642.jpg
    DSC_1642.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 116
  • DSC_1638.jpg
    DSC_1638.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 133

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ventral sexing isn’t very accurate but my concern is that you’ve caught your Pulchra that looks to be in premolt. Then forced it into the bottom of a vial just so you can try get a picture for someone to sex? I don’t want to sound rude but what are you thinking? What if it is male? What are you going to change? It’s a tiny sling and it’s not going to grow very fast anyway so you have plenty of time to get another and hope for a female before yours matured and gets sent for breeding or passes.

Ventral sexing isn’t very accurate but my concern is that you’ve caught your Pulchra that looks to be in premolt. Then forced it into the bottom of a vial just so you can try get a picture for someone to sex? I don’t want to sound rude but what are you thinking? What if it is male? What are you going to change? It’s a tiny sling and it’s not going to grow very fast anyway so you have plenty of time to get another and hope for a female before yours matured and gets sent for breeding or passes.
Hi.
Excuse me!

Spider, has looked like this... Since I received this spider a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't sure if this was how the Spider develops!
I have NEVER had a spider go through pre-molt.
Where did I say *ANYTHING* about breeding this animal.

1. S/he is too young to breed.
2. Has still been eating.
3. BE NICE! Was you never taught "If you, cant say anything nice.."?
4. Could you, PLEASE be POLITE!; AN, possibly - instead, offer knowlage instead of hatefull accusations?!
5. Why did you not just offer advice ?
6. Did it even occur to you, this IS my first sling?
7. Why do you assume because something has an entrance it MUST be bread... Because just wanting to know the sex of an animal.. OBVIOUSLY, imples that is the ONLY, reason, to want to know the sex of an animal!

SMH, Why do you have to be so dam rude! Publicly too.. May I add, You... COULD, of just private messeged me; and just said, oh I do not know, along the lines of, "did you realize, or know what to look for when a sling is in pre-molt"?

Regards!

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Finished?

Im guessing you’ve not had a great day but I still don’t care. Do what you want but like I said. My only concern is that you felt the need to force your sling into a vial for a picture. Which in your little rant you didn’t address. I did consider private messaging but I didn’t want to give you the impression I wanted to start a conversation so I chose not to. I know people are at different stages in the hobby with experience and knowledge but I would have thought this sort of thing was common sense (which unfortunately is becoming uncommon) I wasn’t trying to be offensive but if you took it at that then it’s your problem not mine.

Finished?

Im guessing you’ve not had a great day but I still don’t care. Do what you want but like I said. My only concern is that you felt the need to force your sling into a vial for a picture. Which in your little rant you didn’t address. I did consider private messaging but I didn’t want to give you the impression I wanted to start a conversation so I chose not to. I know people are at different stages in the hobby with experience and knowledge but I would have thought this sort of thing was common sense (which unfortunately is becoming uncommon) I wasn’t trying to be offensive but if you took it at that then it’s your problem not mine.
Hi.

I did not "force your sling into a vial"!
OK, I unknowingly F*cked up!

Like nobody has never made any mistakes with their spider. IF, you are not going to offer advice, or suggest a better way to handle a spider! Do not message or reply to this thread, or any posts for that matter, I would not handle a spider.
This spider, did not hair flick, or remotely threaten too.
Also, Do you really think, Just being "offensive", Is going to spread any positivity to a new keeper.

NorseDad

I'm going to side with Rs50matt here. His initial response was direct, but in no way rude. You went off on him, and it doesn't seem like you really read what he was saying. Instead, you became very defensive and abrasive.

It doesn't take an experienced keeper to know that pushing a small animal into a container with a paper towel like that so it is immobile is cruel. About 5 minutes of reading, and you'd learn that ventral sexing is unreliable with adult tarantulas let alone a small sling like that. You are putting that tarantula through a very stressful thing all to learn something unimportant for a spider that small: gender. It's wrong, and Rs50matt was gentle in how he said that to you.

You are new, and people will cut you slack for that, but do not start going on a defensive tirade when someone with more experience points out a mistake. It's a quick way to have people stop trying to help you.

Regards

I'm going to side with Rs50matt here. His initial response was direct, but in no way rude. You went off on him, and it doesn't seem like you really read what he was saying. Instead, you became very defensive and abrasive.

It doesn't take an experienced keeper to know that pushing a small animal into a container with a paper towel like that so it is immobile is cruel. About 5 minutes of reading, and you'd learn that ventral sexing is unreliable with adult tarantulas let alone a small sling like that. You are putting that tarantula through a very stressful thing all to learn something unimportant for a spider that small: gender. It's wrong, and Rs50matt was gentle in how he said that to you.

You are new, and people will cut you slack for that, but do not start going on a defensive tirade when someone with more experience points out a mistake. It's a quick way to have people stop trying to help you.

Regards
OK, I am sorry!
I did not know it was cruel, I would never intentionally hurt an animal. It WON'T happen again!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi there! G. pulchra is a great choice for a beginner tarantula. Your tarantula does appear to be in premolt but pulchra are already black and somewhat difficult to tell when in premolt/not. Based on book lung spacing and a crescent shape on the furrow I would say female but it's super fat right now and that could make it difficult to sex.....book lung spacing could be broad because of this....even in a male spider. I would wait until it's about 2" in leg span (and not in premolt) before trying to sex it. When tarantulas are in premolt, they are super fat with a shiny abdomen. Some have bald spots where they've kicked their hair and these bald spots turn black. Most tarantulas also stop eating (or fast) a couple of weeks to a few months prior to molting (depending on species). What Matt was trying to let you know is that during premolt, a tarantula conserves its energy for the molting process and anything you do to disturb it could cause potential harm to your tarantula or cause it to get stuck in a molt (which could result in death). The one thing I can tell you is that we all make mistakes and it doesn't matter if you're a newbie or advanced keeper. It happens to the best of us but that's how we learn. We also ask questions and we teach each other by sharing our knowledge and personal experiences. This is a wonderful forum with lots of friendly folks.....Matt is one of them. I feel perhaps you jumped the gun and took his comment offensive but I assure you that wasn't his intent. He is very knowledgeable and a great asset to this hobby. Just get to know him a bit....I'm sure you will feel the same! :)

Hi there! G. pulchra is a great choice for a beginner tarantula. Your tarantula does appear to be in premolt but pulchra are already black and somewhat difficult to tell when in premolt/not. Based on book lung spacing and a crescent shape on the furrow I would say female but it's super fat right now and that could make it difficult to sex.....book lung spacing could be broad because of this....even in a male spider. I would wait until it's about 2" in leg span (and not in premolt) before trying to sex it. When tarantulas are in premolt, they are super fat with a shiny abdomen. Some have bald spots where they've kicked their hair and these bald spots turn black. Most tarantulas also stop eating (or fast) a couple of weeks to a few months prior to molting (depending on species). What Matt was trying to let you know is that during premolt, a tarantula conserves its energy for the molting process and anything you do to disturb it could cause potential harm to your tarantula or cause it to get stuck in a molt (which could result in death). The one thing I can tell you is that we all make mistakes and it doesn't matter if you're a newbie or advanced keeper. It happens to the best of us but that's how we learn. We also ask questions and we teach each other by sharing our knowledge and personal experiences. This is a wonderful forum with lots of friendly folks.....Matt is one of them. I feel perhaps you jumped the gun and took his comment offensive but I assure you that wasn't his intent. He is very knowledgeable and a great asset to this hobby. Just get to know him a bit....I'm sure you will feel the same! :)

Hi.

Thank you!
I did look up beginner T's, Saw a Mexican Black(quite a while back) I was going to get, But, i waited too ong and missed out on that... So recenty, I was advised, The G. Pulchra would of been better suited.
So I got a one. This Is my First T, Baby.
I'm always happy to learn, Thanks for understanding. I think I took it the wrong way.

@Rs50matt
(Not sure why this is in Bold text)
I am really sorry!
Although then did do more research, because of that... SO thanks, It helped me see the error of my ways. You're right! Hopefully we can put this behind us?
Honestly... I feel, rather terrible at my response to you trying to help me. I was a Twit.

When looking for Molting videos, I could only really find them about to molt, if not doing so. I did not know My T was in Pre-Molt: I would not of even bothered the T. I was Transferring the T, Into another Spare enclosure, as I had to clean The other one out.

Had, I not been, stupid an realized that S/he was in Pre-molt, I would of left Her/him well alone!
I could only find info - On a bald patch on the abdomen.
I've since (only tonight), looked into it more in-depth, and yes, you are Completely correct! Had found their abdomens get rather swollen and become shiny before hand.

So, I've done a Photograph side by side by comparison,from when I got this Sling, And the abdomen does in fact look larger and shiny. So I think The Spider is going into pre-molt.
I had changed the water dish an misted the new enclosure. I hope the Sling will be OK?
Best thing I can do now, is to not I will not disturb the sling at all, leave the poor spider to relax and Molt.
I am Truly sorry For being a t*t!

augiemolly

Hey Casey K! I´ve. been following this forum for months now and just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your advice and input. There are many others of course but your kindness and compassion really stands out. Iḿ up to six Tś now and my male GBB is the only one I see regularly. My Blue Dwarf Raja sling decided to go on a walkabout recently letting me know it is alive and my Brazilian pink leg did the same thing walking around and around . I hope to have enough experience to possibly comment on husbandry eventually. Just wanted to give a shout out to a cool and kind gal. :)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey Casey K! I´ve. been following this forum for months now and just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your advice and input. There are many others of course but your kindness and compassion really stands out. Iḿ up to six Tś now and my male GBB is the only one I see regularly. My Blue Dwarf Raja sling decided to go on a walkabout recently letting me know it is alive and my Brazilian pink leg did the same thing walking around and around . I hope to have enough experience to possibly comment on husbandry eventually. Just wanted to give a shout out to a cool and kind gal. :)
Concur re. Casey. However......don't piss her off!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kindness! That means a lot to me and I try to be that way towards everyone, even if you're not a customer of mine...I always extend my appreciation to everyone in this hobby because we all learn from each other. An advanced keeper can learn from a newbie just as much and vise versa. :)

Latest posts