• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fuzzers molting

TokeHound

I have an A. avicularia and the girl at FNT told me the abdomen would get shiny when it's ready to molt. I noticed this happened with my B. hamorii but what about fuzzy T's? Do their U-hairs just fall out? My hamorii and avicularia were the same size when I got them, but my hamorii molted like a couple weeks ago and my avicularia has YET to molt. I've been trying to fatten it up which is working successfully, but she still doesn't look ready to molt, and I'm impatiently waiting cuz I want to see it get bigger! I was also told that Brachypelmas in general are notorious for going into pre-molt all the time. I just want to confirm this information with you lovely experienced T Keepers. Thanks :)

x_raphael_xx

I have an A. avicularia and the girl at FNT told me the abdomen would get shiny when it's ready to molt. I noticed this happened with my B. hamorii but what about fuzzy T's? Do their U-hairs just fall out? My hamorii and avicularia were the same size when I got them, but my hamorii molted like a couple weeks ago and my avicularia has YET to molt. I've been trying to fatten it up which is working successfully, but she still doesn't look ready to molt, and I'm impatiently waiting cuz I want to see it get bigger! I was also told that Brachypelmas in general are notorious for going into pre-molt all the time. I just want to confirm this information with you lovely experienced T Keepers. Thanks :)
I didn't notice my c.versicolor sling going into premolt, he actually took food the day before too.
He was only about 1.5cm and my first molt so I might have just not noticed the signs.
My tiny a.avics hasn't molted at all with me yet, I've only had her about 6 weeks, but she wasn't eating in the beginning.

My p.ornatas butt is very shiny, and may even be molting as I type, but I don't want to disturb the enclosure to check, just in case.

Different T's molt at different rates, and even the same species and clutch-mates will grow at different speeds.
Patience is the motto of a T owner.

x_raphael_xx

My p.ornatas butt is very shiny, and may even be molting as I type.
I was right!

image4.jpeg

TokeHound

Awesome! Grats on the new molt! My A. avic also struggled to eat when I first got it but I think it was a temperature issue. Since I have fixed that issue, it has been eating very well up until recently. Her abdomen is nice and fat but still fuzzy. I hope she molts soon!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Arboreals don't get shiny butts or bald spots.. many don't have urticating hairs to rub off (old worlds don't have them at all). Avics (new world arborels) don't flick their hairs like terrestrial spiders, they rub them onto their threat. They don't even rub them off onto their webbing before molting. Theres only a couple ways to tell they are in premolt, not eating, moving slow or lethargic, having a hard time climbing and sticking to the glass on the enclosure, extremely aggressive (threat posture) for little to no reason at all, and dingy faded coloration.

Last edited:

TokeHound

Arboreals don't get shiny butts or bald spots.. many don't have urticating hairs to rub off (old worlds don't have them at all). Avics (new world arborels) don't flick their hairs like terrestrial spiders, they rub them onto their threat. They don't even rub them off onto their webbing before molting. Theres only a couple ways to tell they are in premolt, not eating, moving slow or lethargic, having a hard time climbing and sticking to the glass on the enclosure, extremely aggressive (threat posture) for little to no reason at all, and dingy faded coloration.
Thank you for the info, I will look out for these signs