• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

funny thing happened while feeding

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
I dropped a cricket into my G. rosea's enclosure and it fell into a bunch of sphagnum moss I have in there and when the T seen the moss moving around from the cricket trying to climb out of it my T started drumming like crazy like when they are about to mate... anybody ever seen that? what does it mean? I have to figure out what sex he/she is so I can grab the opposite sex!!! he or she is ready to get some I am thinking lol

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hmmm....lol new one on me. thats goes to show how little we know about these guys. ive read that the theory is scent and pharimones play a big part in mating.....so unless the cricket was putting out some good stank..lol

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
I swear it happened lol I may be a "noob" but I have seen a ton of videos on youtube it must have made just the right combination of vibrations or maybe the T seen the moss moving and thought it was another T in its enclosure but it started drumming right away for a couple seconds and then realized it was food and munched lol... mass he/she is about 4 maybe 4 1/2 inch leg span...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I swear it happened lol I may be a "noob" but I have seen a ton of videos on youtube it must have made just the right combination of vibrations or maybe the T seen the moss moving and thought it was another T in its enclosure but it started drumming right away for a couple seconds and then realized it was food and munched lol... mass he/she is about 4 maybe 4 1/2 inch leg span...
Hmm. Well if its not hooked out yet maybe it's a mm that didn't get hooks..I read about that recently, had never known it occurred in species that were supposed to hook out. I don't see a female being so horny she'd drum at moss moving, Lol..but a male, yeah I could see that..

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
def no hooks... and its not acting like a MM it doesn't act like its trying to get out or anything and looks good and healthy not withering away but your guess is better than mine...

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
I think it is female but im new to this stuff so idk lol... I will try and figure out how to post pics and try and get a good shot of it...

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
I was very rapid lol I couldn't believe it when it happened! def got a chuckle out of me lol

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
Best pic I could get

Attachments

• IMG_20151207_213415_729.jpg
    IMG_20151207_213415_729.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 12

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well I got half the pic to load..it stopped halfway and froze, right above the area I needed to see, Lol. I hate using my phone on this site, I have nothing but trouble. I'll check it out when I get home :p

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
I really think its female I see what I would think to be the zone but I have never chased tarantula tail so who knows lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Possible female, I can't see much cause she's furry around the slit...Lol...but it looks possibly female. I'm not the best at vent sexing, I've been fooled too many times and second guess myself. Im good with molts and a microscope though:) I even have a site book marked on my computer that shows the different species. Sometimes vent shots are obvious even to me though:) Maybe Scoolman will chime in.

Latest posts