• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Funny Story

timc

3 Year Member
So a long time friend of mine was over this afternoon and took an interest in my spiders, however, noting them as "weird" and "creepy". Once of the classic questions popped up and I will take the dialogue from there:
Him: "So what do you feed them?"
Me: "Usually crickets, sometimes worms."
Him: "Ew, alive?"
Me: "Yup."
Him: "Will they eat dead things."
Me: "Sure, they're not picky."
Him: "Will they eat meat?"
Me: "Like a lizard or a mouse? Yes."
Him: "No, like a chunk of meat?"
*Awkward silence*
Me: "Like a T-bone?"
Him: "Yeah."
Me: "I don't know. I never tried it. I doubt it."
Him: "Let's try it."

Needless to say I had to spend the next few minutes of my life, which I will never get back, talking him out of this idea, which culminated in him offering to buy me steak for dinner if he could cut a piece off and throw it in to my P. rufilata. I eventually relented, telling him the only meat I would feel comfortable offering would be his own finger. He actually pondered it a minute.

timc

3 Year Member
That's pretty cool. I never knew that. Like I said I've never tried just tossing a piece of meat in an enclosure and I would probably have to see it done before attempting it myself. But I guess in the wild it's take what you can get and if that's what you can get that's what you take, so it doesn't seem far fetched at all. But I'm not giving my spiders steak. They're cheap dates right now and I like that about them. Next thing you know they'll be waiting for filet mignon!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's great.
Tarantulas are known to scavenge fresh meat.
I have seen Goliath Bird eaters take meat when presented as being live food. Jiggling it up and down provoking a strike. Sorry but Fillet steak only gets eaten by one thing in my house. ...and that's me. Sorry spiders but house rules are house rules.