• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fungus gnats

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
Are fungus gnats harmful to tarantulas? We recently had a fight with them in our house plants and I assume some may have found their way into my ts substrate. Should I worry?

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
The enclosure is only lightly misted once a week since it's a B.hamorii the gnats were originally in some house plants we got. I'm not sure they are in the enclosure. Just wanted to act preemptively if they are harmful to tarantulas

E

ExMember

From what I read the adult gnats don't bite so they wouldn't pose a huge problem. Babies (or whatever you call them) might pose a problem if they got on your spider. I am not an expert by any means but I would guess the babies would be in the plants and as long as the spiders aren't kept really close you should be good. If you do find gnats in your enclosure just wash it and change the substrate. This problem is way more prevalent in bio active enclosures or with theraphosa species that need to be kept damp.

Take this with a grain of salt though...I read some posts about it from the guy who wrote the tarantula keepers guide. I have not encountered this before so I have no real world experience in this matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They sell a product that is volcanic glass to put on your plant...looks like perlite. It actually cuts the reproductive organs somehow on the gnats and they cant breed anymore.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No...dont put it in with your tarantulas. It's glass. It sounded like you had house plants. It's not poison...its glass so it cuts up the gnats trying to get to the moist soil. It destroys their reproductive parts. For Your enclosures just dry out and move your water dishes to a dry spot and dont over fill your dishes for a while.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Arachnoclown is it like this?

cant see volcanic 'glass' in amazon search (in UK anyway)

Can it be in the same room if for example a really damp tray was set up with this stuff to stop the egg laying cycle?

Gardening-Naturally Volcanic Rock Dust 1kg Pack For Borders, Hanging Baskets and Wormeries https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YZGKGPN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZpdvEbAWY4DDS
No...they use to use volcanic glass but I think its recycled glass now.
Heres what I use in my house and out in my planters on my patio. It has awesome drainage.
15825796727878900482037167771104.jpg
15825796965021363664111480621505.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member