• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fruit Flies Laying Eggs in T enclosure

TokeHound

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem? I have a Tarantula that I feed fruit flies to, and it doesn't always grab them right away so I leave them in there over night. Well a few days later, I noticed the tiniest white worms in the Tarantula enclosure! They look A LOT like the fruit fly larva so I'm pretty sure someone laid eggs before it got eaten. Do I need to rehouse this Tarantula into the new enclosure? I noticed 2 in there, and I pulled them out and killed them, and then a few days later, I found 1 more. I'm keeping a close eye on the vial to make sure no more pop up, but should I just rehouse it?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just wondering if anyone else had this problem? I have a Tarantula that I feed fruit flies to, and it doesn't always grab them right away so I leave them in there over night. Well a few days later, I noticed the tiniest white worms in the Tarantula enclosure! They look A LOT like the fruit fly larva so I'm pretty sure someone laid eggs before it got eaten. Do I need to rehouse this Tarantula into the new enclosure? I noticed 2 in there, and I pulled them out and killed them, and then a few days later, I found 1 more. I'm keeping a close eye on the vial to make sure no more pop up, but should I just rehouse it?
No don't worry. Each egg results in a larva, so an extra half dozen won't matter. They must have been present in the colony since larva are too young to mate. I would not change the enclosure.

TokeHound

They're more likely to be fungus gnats, particularly if you used some kind of top soil.

I doubt they're a problem either though, so probably doesn't matter.
The substrate they have in their vials is the same substrate they came home with. Pretty sure one of the the fruit flies laid eggs in there. So far I have found 3 and haven't seen any more pop up. But still keeping an eye out. This sling is due to molt at any time, so I want to make sure nothing is left alive in the enclosure except the T.