• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Frequency of Juve/Sling Moulting?

Phototoxin

I have 3 G.pulchripes approx 5cm head/body length and 1 L.parahybana that is about 1cm overall. I've had them about 6 weeks so far and I'm just wondering what the interval for moulting ought to be. They are about 22-26C and get fed 1/week.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Depends...

Individual biology of each specimen, husbandry, temp, nutrition, etc

Some say once a month, but frequency of molt seems most directly linked to feeding schedule/temp
Remember, less is more when it comes to feeding

Phototoxin

Depends...

Individual biology of each specimen, husbandry, temp, nutrition, etc

Some say once a month, but frequency of molt seems most directly linked to feeding schedule/temp
Remember, less is more when it comes to feeding
OK cool, Is 1 medium cricket a week too much do you think? I let them settle when they arrived before feeding them. Then offered food twice once settled to make sure they weren't hungry and after that its pretty much 1/week (+a prekilled for the sling) and they've never refused.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
OK cool, Is 1 medium cricket a week too much do you think? I let them settle when they arrived before feeding them. Then offered food twice once settled to make sure they weren't hungry and after that its pretty much 1/week (+a prekilled for the sling) and they've never refused.
I feed slings based on how hungry they look
-are they at the edge of their burrow or hide
-are their abdomens plump or skinny
-when was the last time they were fed and did they finish their last meal (mine always do)

Less is more when it comes to feeding

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Those two species will have drastically different molt rates, with the LP molting more often and putting on more size than the Grammostola. @octanejunkie has pretty much covered everything else :T:
I think the Grammostola and Lasiodora would be an interesting growth-rate match up

My LP is definitely one of my slowest growers

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That’s interesting, I’ve raised two and I’m on a third and they’re one of the fastest growers I’ve ever worked with.
Well, now that my LP is over an inch, and I can see it, things will probably speed up
I got it at 1/8", IIRC

BUT you may have me corrected... A chalcodes is a slow one and may be slower than LP for me

timc

3 Year Member
Well, now that my LP is over an inch, and I can see it, things will probably speed up
I got it at 1/8", IIRC

BUT you may have me corrected... A chalcodes is a slow one and may be slower than LP for me
If your chalchodes grows faster than your LP you have live in bizzaro world lol

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If your chalchodes grows faster than your LP you have live in bizzaro world lol
A chalcodes is a slow one and may be slower than LP for me
But also
bizaro world seinfeld.gif

Latest posts