• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fossorial Enclosure Size (?)

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Good morning all! I hope everyone is doing well and are healthy ;)

So, I've reached my limits as I calculate my space needed for adult enclosures. I do have a question though - how big of an enclosure are you dedicating to your fossorials ? Specifically - Cyriopagopus lividus.

I have 4. My 1st is a regular blue morph and my other 3 are the "green" morphs. They are currently in 8"x8"x12" glass enclosures with a layer of 1-2" of vermiculite on the bottom to help moisture retention and the rest is substrate - overall about 2/3 full. So there is a good 6-8" of sub to burrow in. Too big, too small (?) What's your thoughts?

Mothman61

I have 3 , 2 are in 8x8x10 acrylic enclosures. They are fully grown, and I hardly ever see them. Maybe just a toe! My other is in a 6x6x6. This one I see because it cannot dig so deep! All enclosures are 60-75% substrate. I would not put them in bigger enclosures - they don’t get out much! (In saying that - I have to admit that my C lividus are wild caught - I live in Thailand - and I caught 2 of them while they were out and about after heavy rain. The other was inadvertently dug out of its burrow while working on my farm)

Latest posts