• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

food

newtots

3 Year Member
i have 2 t slings, and i've been feeding them pin head crickets... problem being that they only eat 2-4 a month. i can only buy pin heads 100 at a time and have to order them online. how do i either get rid of the extra 96 crickets??? i thought of buying another creature to eat the crickets but honestly i think the added cost my kill my budget. i want another tarantula at the end of the month, but i really doubt that another t would eat all the extras. is there any way around this??

Logan D

3 Year Member
just raise them into bigger crickets and start a colony so then you don't have to worry about buying them ever again

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
As they out grow your T's you can just crush their heads and leave them in with the sling they'll eat em. if you can get slightly larger crickets locally you can just feed like this and save yourself some money.

hellknite

3 Year Member
Do you really prefer crickets? Crickets are short lived. If you maintain a colony it will tempt you to get more T's. So I go for a go.. :)

Logan D

3 Year Member
Do you really prefer crickets? Crickets are short lived. If you maintain a colony it will tempt you to get more T's. So I go for a go.. :)
some people cant get there hands on dubias or other feeders just something to think about

hellknite

3 Year Member
Having said that, we really need to have permits here to legally own a T, but having a permit still limits having a local genus.. so can't have the beautiful native T's..

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
like having to have the right paper work to ship a t over seas or recieve a t

I believe that its necessary, since that stops illegal trafficking a bit. Let me be honest,most T's in collections probably originated from illegal collecting in the wild. If it wasn't for this no matter how sad,we wouldn't have a hobby today. I think when we as hobbyists and nature conservation all over the world could work together,that will be the way forward. Look at a prime example,Poecilotheria Metallica its not primarily illegal collecting making wild numbers drop but human encroachment on natural habitat and deforestation. We can see all over the world,not just in one area or one type of specie how humans are taking away natural habitats due to population growth.

hellknite

3 Year Member
I believe that its necessary, since that stops illegal trafficking a bit. Let me be honest,most T's in collections probably originated from illegal collecting in the wild. If it wasn't for this no matter how sad,we wouldn't have a hobby today. I think when we as hobbyists and nature conservation all over the world could work together,that will be the way forward. Look at a prime example,Poecilotheria Metallica its not primarily illegal collecting making wild numbers drop but human encroachment on natural habitat and deforestation. We can see all over the world,not just in one area or one type of specie how humans are taking away natural habitats due to population growth.
I was just curious to ask reading along this thread.. Is it legal to collect native T's in your country?

hellknite

3 Year Member
But it's legal to have non-native T's? Maybe that's really one of the limitations we have to accept..

hellknite

3 Year Member
It's really an odd thing in the hobby, it's like, for instance that obt is protected but it is abundant in the market like in here. And it goes the same else where. There are this T's of the orphanaecus genus that are protected here but I see them available in the US..

Latest posts