• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Flooding

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
This question is geared more toward any experienced breeders on here. I’ve read that many people will soak down the substrate for a gravid t and this seems to induce a sac. My first question is, have you had success with this technique? Second, do you think it works because it replicates the rainy season or because it just boosts the humidity?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It has always worked for me. I dont flood it too much...just like a really heavy rain. You dont want standing water. Probably 2-3 times more then your average watering. I've heard it causes her to start dropping silk. I dont like to water too much or mess with her once she drops a sack so I feel it's a good idea to get humidity in her burrow early. She will adjust the sack higher or lower in the burrow depending on the humidity levels. I've been in the hobby for nearly 40 years but a couple years ago started breeding so I'm not quite a expert at it yet.

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
It has always worked for me. I dont flood it too much...just like a really heavy rain. You dont want standing water. Probably 2-3 times more then your average watering. I've heard it causes her to start dropping silk. I dont like to water too much or mess with her once she drops a sack so I feel it's a good idea to get humidity in her burrow early. She will adjust the sack higher or lower in the burrow depending on the humidity levels. I've been in the hobby for nearly 40 years but a couple years ago started breeding so I'm not quite a expert at it yet.
I think I’ve read you start flooding once you see she’s nice and fat?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
only had some brief experience of breeding too as like @Arachnoclown it's been more the keeping of Ts for a few decades. I would welcome any further experience form others and approx how long after a successful insertion that the flooding method is considered.

Latest posts