• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First timers

zunzun95

3 Year Member
i just got my first tarantula and i need some help a lot of sights are giving me mixed signals its a rose haired ground spider from chile but bread in captivity whats the best way to treat it food and environment wise. please help i love fluffy but i'm scared she wont get proper care

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
First off, don't be scared. Just learn about what you need to do to help fluffy and then make it happen! I know you'll do fine! As far as a caresheet, start with something like this link http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html and see what you learn. Don't forget to keep us updated on how things go - and take lots of photos!!

zunzun95

3 Year Member
thank you i have already far over fed my girl then but im pay attention to that and though they like humidity they also like dry ground is Washington humidity high enough?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Unless you're right on the coast your humidity will vary day by day. Best to get a hygrometer and try to keep it monitored...

kheymann

3 Year Member
Being a lifetime Washington state (Western) resident I can tell you our Humidity usually ranges from a low of 50% to typical high 85% during long hot streaks in our summers to typical 100% and even higher in our winters. If you are in Eastern Washington then that would be another matter.

Samuraisid

3 Year Member
Rosies dont like humidity. Bone dry substrate and a waterdish. Never overflow the waterdish and never mist the substrate/ walls of the enclosure.

The link Josh provided is to Stan Schultz website. He wrote the book, "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" and highly suggest you pick it up. Go through all of his writings there. Stan will set you straight on a lot of misinformation out there. With the exception of a few generae (Hysterocrates, Haplopelma, Theraphosa) and very young Ts, humidity is never ever a real concern. Also if you feel the need to buy a hygrometer, make sure to buy a very expensive one at a hardware store. Most of the exo-terra hygros dont work on the shelves. In fact, compare them side by side. If they all dont have the exact same reading, something is wrong. Then take them to the fish section and hold them over the vent. They should all jump equally, or else they dont work...

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
if you feel the need to buy a hygrometer, make sure to buy a very expensive one at a hardware store. Most of the exo-terra hygros dont work on the shelves. In fact, compare them side by side. If they all dont have the exact same reading, something is wrong. Then take them to the fish section and hold them over the vent. They should all jump equally, or else they dont work...

This is a great idea. I already have all the hygrometers I need but I'm going to try this next time I'm in the store!

Latest posts