• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First time T owner. Is my pulchra too fat?

x_raphael_xx

Hi all,
I'm new to owing (but have been researching etc for a while before taking the plunge).
I bought my first 3 T's two weeks ago (3/4 cm G.pulchra, 1cm C versicolor and an even smaller tiny sling N.chromatus which was an unexpected freebie)

I've been feeding the pulchra one small cricket every 3 days, which she is happily taking straight away. Her bootie is looking very big and round, and I'm worried I maybe over feeding her.
The other two are on the same schedule, cricket for the versicolor and flies for the chromatus, they look nicely proportioned.

IMG_4972.jpg

Here's my Shelob (yes I know, but I love LOTR) should I stretch out the feedings?

Thank you in advance!

x_raphael_xx

I would definitely put Shelob on a mini diet and wait a week (or two) before feeding her again.

Also, fantastic name! I also have a Shelob! And all my T's are LOTR/Tolkien themed.
Thank you! I'll hold off for a week and see how shes looking.

My versicolor is called Martin, and the chromatus is Queen Gohma (first boss I defeated in my first ever Zelda game) :)

x_raphael_xx

I wouldn't feed on a schedule, but rather of abdomen size. Large abdomens can lead to longer premolts, so I wouldn't feed for a few weeks.
Thank you!

I say schedule, but it's more of me keeping track so I can avoid overfeeding. (Not remembering if I've fed them 2/3 days ago and feeding again etc). And I'm a sucker for a spreadsheet.

The other two look about right, and I will adjust as I go, and get more confident in my husbandry.
It just feels so odd not feeding an animal everyday. When I had to hibernate my tortoise for the first time last year, it felt so cruel not feeding anything for the 3 months before boxing him up! :D

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you!

I say schedule, but it's more of me keeping track so I can avoid overfeeding. (Not remembering if I've fed them 2/3 days ago and feeding again etc). And I'm a sucker for a spreadsheet.

Welcome to tarantula parenting. You will find this forum an amazing source of information and support, although there are different approaches that people take to their care.

I too have been guilty of having big booty pulchras, but then again it can be hard to gauge them when they are in hiding, which both of mine tend to do.

On another note, I guess I am a bit confused about one of your comments. If you are keeping track of when you feed them, why does it matter if it is on a schedule or not? Maybe I am missing something.

x_raphael_xx

Welcome to tarantula parenting. You will find this forum an amazing source of information and support, although there are different approaches that people take to their care.

I too have been guilty of having big booty pulchras, but then again it can be hard to gauge them when they are in hiding, which both of mine tend to do.

On another note, I guess I am a bit confused about one of your comments. If you are keeping track of when you feed them, why does it matter if it is on a schedule or not? Maybe I am missing something.

I've only had them 2 weeks, so I'm still learning, and happy to take on any advice.

Schedule was definately the wrong word lol.
I meant I am feeding around 3 days, but am adjusting as needed. Eg, I was feeding my c.versicolor fruit flies in the beginning, when he looked a little skinny I upgraded him to crickets and gave him one the very next day.
As Shelob was looking chubby I asked for advice on here and will now be feeding less regularly.

She loves a wonder, so shes easy to see. My n.chromatus has just come out of hiding, and she looks a little chubby too, so diets all round!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is indeed a chubby one :)
Good morning Raphael, as rightfully mentioned already above, the general appearance/size of your T's abdomen is the best indicator on when and if you should offer more food. By the size of this sling and its abdomen I wouldn't bother to feed it until a week or two after its next molt. Do not worry either if soon enough it'll dig itself up or will bunker down by closing its hide entrance to only reappear after molting. The only important thing now is to make sure that it has access to clean water at all time, just in case.
Welcome to the forum and this wonderful addictive hobby, have a great day.

x_raphael_xx

It is indeed a chubby one :)
Good morning Raphael, as rightfully mentioned already above, the general appearance/size of your T's abdomen is the best indicator on when and if you should offer more food. By the size of this sling and its abdomen I wouldn't bother to feed it until a week or two after its next molt. Do not worry either if soon enough it'll dig itself up or will bunker down by closing its hide entrance to only reappear after molting. The only important thing now is to make sure that it has access to clean water at all time, just in case.
Welcome to the forum and this wonderful addictive hobby, have a great day.
Thank you.

I've been keeping the substrate damp, and I've just added a small bottle cap of water into the enclosure.
From the photo, does she look like shes ready for a molt? I've been watching out for a bald spot but shes still fuzzy. She's made no attempt to web up yet, and has been strolling round in the open the last couple of days.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is definitely not ready to molt yet. When it gets closer you will see its color darkening progressively.
Thumbs up for the bottle cap. Now it is a waiting game, as mentioned previously it seems to have absorbed and stocked enough food to last until its next molt, I would recommend leaving it alone for a while (even knowing how hard it might be to do when you are starting in the hobby and these are some of your first babies).
Have a great day.

x_raphael_xx

It is definitely not ready to molt yet. When it gets closer you will see its color darkening progressively.
Thumbs up for the bottle cap. Now it is a waiting game, as mentioned previously it seems to have absorbed and stocked enough food to last until its next molt, I would recommend leaving it alone for a while (even knowing how hard it might be to do when you are starting in the hobby and these are some of your first babies).
Have a great day.
Backing off as advised :)

She lives (along with the other two) on the shelf above my desk, so I'm able to observe from a distance.
At least I have my other animals to keep me busy!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'll just leave this here

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
When I first saw my smaller G. pulchra waddling around like this, I thought that I had overfed it. Within five days of taking this picture, however, this tarantula molted.

Attachments

• 20210805_173506.jpg
    20210805_173506.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

Latest posts