• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First tarantula and heating mat thermostat

sertorius1066

Hello all,

First time posting. I am about to take the plunge Nan get my first tarantula. I have a 12 year old male corn snake and a 14 year old leopard gecko. I have always wanted a tarantula however. I would a Brazilian black but due to my geographic location (very north of Scotland) I don’t think I will be able to source one. My local pet shop state they will be able to get either a Chilean Rose, a curly haired or a red knee. What would people recommend?

Also with my snake and gecko I use bulbs on thermostats but have read that Tarantulas hate light so would need a heat mat. I have struggled to find any information on a decent mat and corresponding thermostat. Please can anyone suggest a decent one? I have a 12x10 inch eco terrain vivarium, would it be better to place the mat on the side or the bottom?

Many thanks in advance for any help

regalis

Have you tried these?

I wouldn't use a heat mat. If you can keep the room warm it would be better. :)

Soulman

Direct heat will dry the area,with an thermostat will make no difference.it's a mistake that a lot of people make .Room temperature should be fine.what is a help get your self a thermometer for the room.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Go with the red knee, B. hamorii or B. smithii.

If you use a heat mat, glue it to the SIDE glass, not under the enclosure. T's burrow to escape heat.

Use a plug-in lamp dimmer and a infrared temp gun to adjust the mat's temp.

Good luck and don't forget to start a T journal (thread here) when do onboard your first T!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Always keep this in mind. Tarantulas burrow to escape heat. They do this out of instincts. They like heat to a point...like us warming up by the fire. Mostly they dont like it...hide during the day hunt at night when it's cool. So when a spider gets hot they dig down...as far as they can. Once they reach the bottom and they are still too hot they dont retreat... They die. That's why heat pads are horrible for spiders. Even on the side of the tank dries out the enclosure and dehydrated the spider. This complicates all the necessary moisture in a spider to molt. Honestly the best way is to heat the entire room. This way theres less chance of dehydration and overheating the spider.

Latest posts