• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First premolt! (question about humidity)

NataliaTG

3 Year Member
SO!
Over the past few months, my b. hamorii has been eating every 28 days around the clock. (Last time it ate was 26 days ago)

I had been waiting for more sings that would indicate premolt... and these past days the little guy seemed a bit anxious. He/She is always pretty chill but now it was just a bit more active. And today I noticed that its abdomen looks black!

I know this isn't a big deal,but this is my first and only T at the moment, so it is quite a special moment for me. I feel like a grandma waiting for its daughter to give birth. I'm sorry if that's weird.

Anyways. My only question is, how should I keep the tank humid enough? Should I spray the enclosure? I don't want to do that since my T is pretty skittish, it would make him pretty stressed. I keep a gatorade lid as its water dish.

Ah... I will count the days!

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@sdsnybny is right...just overflow the water dish. Hamorri's hate humid wet enclosures...even when molting. The fluid they need to molt is within...just keep a full water dish at all times so they can drink.
I'm finding that this is a big difference between australian scorpion keeping and tarantula keeping, a lot of scorpions won't drink free water so humidity is important during a moult, unless you set up a false bottom with full ventilation so they can choose.

NataliaTG

3 Year Member
Be sure to save the molted skin for getting the sex of it. There's tons of info on how to do that.

Ugh I did keep it but the abdomen was in bad shape. I couldn't see anything. Anyways my T is propably too small to be able to sex it... I guess I'll have to wait until its next molt haha

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My scorp sometimes dives right into her larger of two water dishes and then flings substrate everywhere for no apparent reason. Of course, it's a tropical species, H spinifer.

Yes, they can drink from a water dish but the pics I captured are literally the only time I can confirm that she ever actually did. I just missed her actually making contact with the water itself.

I carefully moved it closer to her between getting the shots.

H spinifer thirsty 3.jpg
H spinifer thirsty 4.jpg
H spinifer thirsty 1.jpg

This is the smaller of the two water dishes. The larger one is shallow but slightly bigger then she is. That one is all the way on the other side of the cage not visible here.

Latest posts