• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First post!

RubenGamez

3 Year Member
Saw an ad from what seemed to be a very little-knowing owner needing to get rid of his T for some reason. Came with a habitat and a male T (of unknown species) for 20 dollars. As someone who's been wanting to get into the hobby for quite sometime now, I took the plunge and bought it. (Keep in mind that I had previously found out that no local pet shops carry T's) Anyway, the little guy is extremely docile and is extremely active at night. Posting some pictures in hopes that someone can give me his species. Anything helps.
IMG_20130801_145348.jpg
IMG_20130802_022252.jpg
IMG_20130802_022306.jpg

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, I am not sure what he is, but I am pretty sure he is a he.

He is likely an Aphonopelma male. Unfortunately, telling them apart at a species level is a PITA.

If he is a mature male he won't be with you long. Males live 6 mo-1 year after molting mature. His purpose in life at this point is to find a lady friend, which is likely why he seems to be really active at night. Have you noticed him "tapping?"

You might consider changing out the substrate. Rocky sand isn't ideal for captive T's. Look for something like Eco-Earth or Coco fiber. Does he have a shallow water bowl? A Gatorade or soda bottle cap is great!

You might consider ordering off line. There aren't very many places here that carry T's either. Paul at PetcenterUsa is awesome to order from . (www.petcenter.info)

Let me know if I can offer any advice.

RubenGamez

3 Year Member
Thanks for the replies!
Came into contact with the seller, and he has not yet molted, but I am definitely going to cherish the little time we have together. I've decided to name him Gene, after a member of my favorite band, Ween. Thanks again!

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you look at his front legs and check for "hooks" at the knees or see if the pedipalps are enlarges at the ends it can be a sign he's molted mature.

You can always talk with some of our more experienced members to try and get an exact ID and see if anyone can use him for breeding.

@Kenny. , @Atx13 , @plessey , @Scoolman , @ipreventdeath

My apologies if I forgot to include anyone. :)

RubenGamez

3 Year Member
Alright guys, I'm getting some eco-earth tomorrow to replace this horrible dirt, but as of today, I believe I noticed some small "hooks" on his frontal knees, and noticed some odd behavior which I believe is his way of tapping, along with some pedipalp rubbing. I will link the youtube video below.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He's just cleaning his pedipalps. If he's ready for breeding you will likely see him making a web blanket of sorts called a sperm web. The tapping is kind of like a dance they do.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
Definitely a mature male. What species? Your guess is as good as mine, ha! I'd go with Aphonopelma sp. for now and just care for him like the majority of that genus. Chances are he won't live for more than a year, but you can give him a great home until he passes.