• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Post, Second Tarantula

Golgotha

Greetings from Queen Creek, Arizona. I cared for a wild caught local Tucson Bronze tarantula for several months. He was doing great and eating and drinking well. One morning I found him trying to molt and this lien -like thing coming out. He never finished the molt. See strange video. After the natural sadness, I wanted to find out what went wrong. Taking the video to an awesome pet store (Tropical Treasures) in Phoenix where I purchased an absolute gorgeous Chaco Golden Knee. The store looked at the video and said a parasite killed it and is more common in a wild caught. This was encouraging that it was not me that caused its demise.
Video- Failed parasite molt
Fist picture - Absolutely stunning Chaco Golden Knee
Second Picture - It looks like a female to me but I am a noob.

Opinions Please
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4468.MOV
    3.5 MB
  • IMG_4600.jpg
    IMG_4600.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4622.jpg
    IMG_4622.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 15

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry for your loss. A bizarre situation for sure. Recently this forum had someone log in who has experience and has studied tarantula parasites. Do a search for nematodes.

Congrats on the new T. My first tarantula was and is a G. pulchripes. She us quite the excavator when she is in the mood. She is one of three Chaco Golden Knee tarantulas that I have, including one that is about half an inch.
Enjoy. Feel free to post questions, comments and pics as the mood moves you.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome, could be a female, but your best chance at determining that will be examining a molt/exo

Golgotha

Sorry for your loss. A bizarre situation for sure. Recently this forum had someone log in who has experience and has studied tarantula parasites. Do a search for nematodes.

Congrats on the new T. My first tarantula was and is a G. pulchripes. She us quite the excavator when she is in the mood. She is one of three Chaco Golden Knee tarantulas that I have, including one that is about half an inch.
Enjoy. Feel free to post questions, comments and pics as the mood moves you.
Would you say I have a female from the detailed close up?

Attachments

• IMG_4622.jpg
    IMG_4622.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 9