• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First molt!!!

SpellKaster4

So after what feels like months of being away I have finally returned! Just like before I kinda fell off the map because my LP Peter was still burrowed and I had nothing to share. Well today I found that I had wonderful and excited news! I got nervous again, being the first time spider dad and all, and decided I had to check on Peter to make sure he was still alive. I know, I know. Everyone kept telling me he was fine and that I just had to wait but it was killing me! So, I opened his enclosure and moved his cork wood out of the way to expose his burrow and what do I see? I see a nice little molt sitting at the entrance! I about lost my freaking mind right there and then. I used a flashlight to look into the burrow and all I could see was Peter's butt. He was just sitting there in the normal tarantula posture so it looks like everything is okay. He does look different right now though. He used to be a light brown. Right now he is a darker brown underneath and is actually almost black on top. Almost like his has a racing strip. I put his wood back in place and I'm going to leave him alone for a little longer. I don't know when he actually molted so I don't know if I should offer food and if I do what I should offer. I'm thinking of getting some earthworms and trying one of those just in case his fangs haven't hardened yet. I'm open to suggestions on that front though cause, as I'm sure you can tell, this is my first time and I'm too excited to think straight. Even though I expected it I was still surprised at how big Peter looked next to his molt. It looks so freaking small! It's like he tripled in size, it's crazy (in the good/cool way). Anyway, here are two pictures I took of the molt. There wasn't a lot of it left really but from my limited understanding that's pretty normal. I'm glad to finally have some news! I've been staring at dirt for so long I was thinking I bought a rare invisible spider. Also, sorry if the pictures aren't all that good. All I had was my ready was my phone.
20180708_022323.jpg
20180708_022437.jpg

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Finally! Congrats on a smooth first molt. Next thing you know he'll be a giant bug eating monster!

I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer to this, but I prefer to start them eating again with a relatively small first meal after a molt.

SpellKaster4

I've had a few people suggest something like earthworms since they're soft. I have no idea how long it's been since Peter actually molted though so I'm thinking of throwing in a small dubia that I've killed to see if he's hungry. I'm hoping he decides to come out and say hi soon. I miss the little guy lol.

SpellKaster4

I lucked out actually. I just checked my dubias and one of the small ones had just molted itself. So, it's still white and squishy lol. That should be a decent meal if Peter wants it.

Update: Yep, Peter was hungry! Within ten minutes of putting that dubia in his enclosure he had dragged it into his burrow. I've never seen him take food that fast. I like this new found blood lust lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts