• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First kills!

timc

3 Year Member
4 of my 5 new slings made their first kills today! The 5th is a little larger and had been getting live food the whole time. For the last week (two feedings) they'd been getting prekilled or just cricket legs but I was finally able to track down some crickets puny enough for them and man did they seem excited. The diversipes actually hit so hard the cricket threw a leg. I was worried the G. Pulchripes was a little fat and might not eat but she chased that sucker down in a hurry. Ah, it's so exciting when they make their first kills. I'm So proud :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well done little ones. It's a great feeling when they make their first kill :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love watching them feed. The slings attack with the gusto of the adults. very entertaining.

Allison

3 Year Member
My G.pulchripes always hits her food fast and hard. As soon I start prying the lid off her enclosure she comes out & sits there patiently drumming with her front legs. I swear she grabs that roach nymph out of the air - it never hits the ground. Sometimes I'll drop a second one just to watch her grab it and have one on each fang. By the time I get the lid back on & grabbed my phone to take a pic - she's gone!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mr predictable here with his usual soap box rant about feeding.......for those who have not seen this before, where have you been?☺ but here we go anyway with the famous line from JURASSIC PARK when the goat is offered to the TRex, that I think sums up spiders too....."she does not want to be fed, she wants to hunt". ☺Therefore, if you can, get micro crickets or fruit flies etc for slings gs and let them do what comes naturally. Sometime not possible I know, so pre-killed is acceptable. Glad the little babies are happy hunting.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mr predictable here with his usual soap box rant about feeding.......for those who have not seen this before, where have you been?☺ but here we go anyway with the famous line from JURASSIC PARK when the goat is offered to the TRex, that I think sums up spiders too....."she does not want to be fed, she wants to hunt". ☺Therefore, if you can, get micro crickets or fruit flies etc for slings gs and let them do what comes naturally. Sometime not possible I know, so pre-killed is acceptable. Glad the little babies are happy hunting.
And here i go again with the Little Kenyan roaches ;) a better alternative to FFF, more nutritious and they can feed more than just the tiny slings as they're adult max size is 1/2" (nymphs are about 2mm)

Only place i've found then (but i haven't really looked too hard) is CCR - capecodroaches.com

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And here i go again with the Little Kenyan roaches ;) a better alternative to FFF, more nutritious and they can feed more than just the tiny slings as they're adult max size is 1/2" (nymphs are about 2mm)

Only place i've found then (but i haven't really looked too hard) is CCR - capecodroaches.com
Roaches are really hard to get in UK. Only just started to see dubia in local reptile stores recently. There is a couple of places on line that sell live food but crickets seem to the staple in UK but I noticed on the other side of the pond that roaches are much more popular. ☺

timc

3 Year Member
I'm not allowed to bring roaches home lol. It's a shame too because I know they're about 37846995327806478x better than crickets but they seem to just carry a stigma with them.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not allowed to bring roaches home lol. It's a shame too because I know they're about 37846995327806478x better than crickets but they seem to just carry a stigma with them.
That's a lot of times better. Is that scientifically proven.....lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
what stigma?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My issue with Dubia roaches is that I become slightly attached to them (they're kind of cute and quite interesting in their behaviour), so I end up keeping them instead of feeding them to the spiders (when they're dying they get fed to them though). I have a male Dubia and a male Lobster roach(who sneaked into a batch of Turkistan roaches), that have been happily living out their lives for over a year now (at one point they seemed to have a relationship, but since extending the group have not been too picky with their choice of partners). I think I'll be slightly sad when they pass away lol.
I have no issues feeding Red Runners though, I don't know why, and Crickets are @rseholes anyway lol.

Will

3 Year Member
I think my missus would prefer roaches. She absolutely hates crickets. She's not too keen on Locusts either to be honest.

As Phil said roaches are hard to come by in the UK. however, Pets at Home usually have some in if you go on Tuesdays or Thursdays when they get their deliveries.

Back on topic: I was so happy when my tiny B. annitha finally made its first kill! Now it thinks it's an adult T stirmi and can take on anything!

Sourcing appropriately tiny crickets is a pain in the butt though.