• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Australian Tarantula enclosures, feedback appreciated

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
G'day, I joined a little while ago, but have been busy reading.
Today I received my first Tarantula, Selenotypus plumipes. I am expecting 5 Phlogius sp. 'stents' in the morning (1.35am atm, I guess I should say later this morning!).
I really would like some feedback on my enclosures before I add the spiders. I think I've done ok, but I'm a little unsure about anchor points .
Both species are burrowers, but I was advised to add anchor points. Most sling enclosures I've seen are basically tubs of substrate, rarely even containing a water dish so I thought keep decor minimal.
The slings are around an inch and a quarter legspan, or so I'm told, the plumipes certainly is. The enclosures are 5"x5"x10".
The substrate is about 60/40 coir peat/sand, and 4 to 5 inches deep.
These tanks are basically a false bottom set up, with a ridgid perforated acrylic tray as the false bottom. I use these for most of my scorpions, they work well for desert species as most of the substrate is dry , but moisture increases with burrow depth. A layer of straight coco peat on the bottom gives me a visual clue of the amount of moisture, if it is lighter in colour I'll add a shot glass of water .
The decor is a piece of fake bark and a small plastic plant with rounded leaves.
Does anyone see anything I should change/add/remove?

Last edited:

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
20180212_214047.jpg
Pics

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I received my 5 phlogius sp. 'Stents' today, unfortunately the largest and the smallest were D.O.A.
The largest was the only one close to the size I was expecting, I could have used the smaller enclosures I had on hand, but I guess it will save moving them for a while.
20180215_121550.jpg

:( poor little guys

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
On the lighter side ,the other 3 seem to be settling in well, they all had an explore and a drink, one is in its cave, one webbing in a random spot, one still looking around. Pics to come when I can use the computer, I didn't want to expose them to the level of light my phone camera requires.

Last edited:

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like those enclosures at the start of the thread. Are the tubes to add moisture to the bottom of the enclosure after substrate is in? What are they for?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like those enclosures at the start of the thread. Are the tubes to add moisture to the bottom of the enclosure after substrate is in? What are they for?
They are self cleaning fish tanks but turn the outside elbow upside down and you have a ready made false bottom enclosure where you can add water to the bottom layer of substrate and keep the top dry to avoid problems with fungus /mould. Great for keeping arid burrowing species. I bought them for scorpions but they seem suited to our tarantulas too, after all a lot of them come from the same habitats. I had planned to sell scorpion keeping kits so I bought 37 of them while they were $10 each at a cheap import chain store but I couldn't find them for sale for less than $30 even on eBay so I decided I'd just use them myself. The other tanks were the closest I could find, they are supposed to be siamese fighter tanks. They looked good in the ad but when I got them they didn't come with the lids pictured in the ad and were smaller than I thought. They cost $11 each but look like they should be $2 at K-mart or something so I've had 15 of those sitting around for a couple of years so I thought why not use them for slings.