• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fire-leg and red knee sizes and maturity?

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Hiya guys! I thought I should upload some pictures because of something I've been wondering about size and age ever since I got these two that I thought you might be able to help me figure out. This is mostly for October, my brachypelma boehmei who is a probable male and many of you have already met but also just for the heck of it I have two pictures of Habanero, my brachypelma smithi who is a confirmed male and you've probably seen less of. Habanero is almost always a good sport but October is usually a nightmare to get out of his tank because he's so stubborn and you can probably see how much hair he's kicked due to his bald spot. I've had him since late June or Early july of 2015 and he had about a 3 inch legs span at the time though I don't know how old he was then. Based on the pictures how old do you guys think he is? More importantly I'm just curious about how much bigger he'll probably get and how close he is to reaching his full size? How many molts away do you think? As for Habanero I've had him since June of 2016 and he's the younger and smaller or the two. He also had a roughly 3 inch leg-span when I got him. I ask the same questions regarding likely age, future size and time until maturity. Note this is a standard U.S inch tape measure. Thanks so much! I can't wait to hear your opinions! Sorry for the poor lighting, it gets darker quickly around here this time of year and my light doesn't show up very brightly on my camera.

Attachments

• October size reference.JPG
    October size reference.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 58
  • October size reference 2.JPG
    October size reference 2.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Habanero size reference.JPG
    Habanero size reference.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Habanero size reference 2.JPG
    Habanero size reference 2.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Mr. P

3 Year Member
If they were three inches when you got them then I would say they were around two years old as they are slow to medium growers. They both should grow to about six inches when fully grown.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Both your Brachypelma Boehmei and Brachypelma Hamorri will reach 6"-6.5". Your smithi is definitely a hamorri (there was a reclassification that separated smithi from hamorri.) How long it takes one to reach this size has many different variables. 7-10 years is probably a good guess. Guessing the age of spiders is extremely hard. If I had to guess I'd say they are probably both around 5 years old.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
If they were three inches when you got them then I would say they were around two years old as they are slow to medium growers. They both should grow to about six inches when fully grown.

Thanks Mr. P! That's good to hear! I feel like they are coming along nicely and I can't wait to see them reach their full potential! They are going to be beautiful!

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Both your Brachypelma Boehmei and Brachypelma Hamorri will reach 6"-6.5". Your smithi is definitely a hamorri (there was a reclassification that separated smithi from hamorri.) How long it takes one to reach this size has many different variables. 7-10 years is probably a good guess. Guessing the age of spiders is extremely hard. If I had to guess I'd say they are probably both around 5 years old.

Thanks Arachnoclown! Yeah I was a bit confused because some sources say they got five inches and some said 6 but if they reach 6 1/2 then that's bigger than I thought! That's going to be awesome to see! I'm really glad they've likely made it to around 5 years old and since I've heard males live 5-15 years then that means they probably have a little longer yet. I'm excited! It would be amazing if they get legs as thick as a pinky finger and abdomens as big as the palm of a hand! Do males stay slightly smaller? I know females live longer but I don't know if they're necessarily bigger.

Latest posts