• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Final new face for a while

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
I've had an excellent summer guys. Not only have I been to three reptile expos and got to see my cousin get the axolotl she really wanted but I accomplished three goals that were getting My giant Asian mantis "Lee," "Yuma," my common collared lizard and the new addition I'm about to share with you. Along with my aforementioned cousin I was at what looks like the last reptile expo within driving distance for a while yet and after doing some research and asking around beforehand I made up my mind to get something I've seriously wanted for many years. A poison dart frog! He (I'll assume for now) is a blue poison dart frog which is my favorite species and probably my favorite frog period in terms of color. I really love blue. He's actually outgoing and active and right off the bat was friendly enough to crawl out onto my hand while I put him into his new tank. He is absolutely gorgeous and has personality. Since he's blue I named him Neptune! Until I can get a jeweled lacerta and another chameleon (mine passed away in 2016) he will probably be my last addition for some time to come unless I get him some friends sooner or later. He's certainly a wonderful creature to pause on.

Attachments

• Neptune.JPG
    Neptune.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 9

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Holy crap. I want one or three of those..

Awesome! You should totally get some if you get the chance. They don't take up much space and aren't demanding. If you keep them humid enough they're even forgiving of cooler temperatures. He's been a little tricky to feed though, good appetite but this is my first time offering tiny foods like fruit flies and pinhead crickets. That will take some getting used to.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome! You should totally get some if you get the chance. They don't take up much space and aren't demanding. If you keep them humid enough they're even forgiving of cooler temperatures. He's been a little tricky to feed though, good appetite but this is my first time offering tiny foods like fruit flies and pinhead crickets. That will take some getting used to.
Would very small dubia nymphs work? Or are they too big?

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Any updates @Allthingsterrarium ? I have an amusing one: my ackie poops in the exact same place every day. He lifts both rear legs clear, arches his back, and dumps a load. Lmao it's quite amusing to watch. He definitely is clean and organized..

I love monitors! Such graceful, intelligent hunters that look like dinosaurs and have lots of character. Sounds like your's is really settling in. As for the new frog he/she has a healthy activity level and as my fruit fly culture exploded and I have a good system for shaking them out and dusting them, feeding is no longer a problem and actually very fun to see happen :)

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love monitors! Such graceful, intelligent hunters that look like dinosaurs and have lots of character. Sounds like your's is really settling in. As for the new frog he/she has a healthy activity level and as my fruit fly culture exploded and I have a good system for shaking them out and dusting them, feeding is now longer a problem and actually very fun to see happen :)
That's good to hear! I may be bothering you later about feeding ;) I want some of them..Do they make a lot of noise? I'd be keeping them in my room. Some local frogs are actually quite soothing with their noise..but then, I never minded the sound of crickets either..and I hate crickets..

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
That's good to hear! I may be bothering you later about feeding ;) I want some of them..Do they make a lot of noise? I'd be keeping them in my room. Some local frogs are actually quite soothing with their noise..but then, I never minded the sound of crickets either..and I hate crickets..

Well from what I understand at least males will make soft calls that in the blue species at least sound a like a very brief buzzing like a drawn out cricket chirp. or a toad call. Especially if you have a group of them. In fact I just found this video of what the bumblebee species (which is another one I love) sounds like.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well from what I understand at least males will make soft calls that in the blue species at least sound a like a very brief buzzing like a drawn out cricket chirp. or a toad call. Especially if you have a group of them. In fact I just found this video of what the bumblebee species (which is another one I love) sounds like.
Awesome! Going to youtube..lol

Latest posts