1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female T size

Discussion in 'Tarantula Breeding' started by IamKrush, Jan 4, 2018.

1. IamKrush

IamKrush Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

hello everyone!
    How can you tell when a female is able and ready to breed? Can you judge it on size? Or is there indications that will let you know? (Example: with male hooks and or making speam webs)
  2. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member

I was told by a breeder if she responds then she's ready (taps). He also said that there isn't a time frame like males. Like with humans, what we would call a girl not mature yet (pre teens) actually she could still get pregnant. Kinda a messed up way to explain it ... other breeders agreed with him so I guess it must be somewhat true?? Id say if she taps shes ready. Im not sure about the other but i can contest to one of my young females taps like crazy when my male is by her enclosure...i would say that she's immature by looking at her but she's interested.
    WolfSpider and IamKrush like this.
  3. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 Well-Known Member

The general rule is 75% of fu grown should mean she is ready to go. The slightly more scientific way is to look at the molt to see if the spermathecae have darkened.
    WolfSpider, IamKrush and sdsnybny like this.
  4. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member

5. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

None of my females ever tap until a male is in their cage..I'd love to hear them do it but mine never do. I even tap on their enclosures, and nada. My friend has a roomful of Poecis that are always drumming. Maybe I need to make my room warmer.
Draft saved Draft deleted