• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeling a little disappointed.

Tnoob

It's sad, I want to see my obt more, but it's a hider. I figure it's just it's thing, but I wonder if anyone has tips for how to get it to come out. I want more pics. There's a lot of substrate in there. I'm not worried about its condition. I can see where new web has been laid. I'll feed it, but I was honestly hoping for more blitzkrieg.

nedaK

It's sad, I want to see my obt more, but it's a hider. I figure it's just it's thing, but I wonder if anyone has tips for how to get it to come out. I want more pics. There's a lot of substrate in there. I'm not worried about its condition. I can see where new web has been laid. I'll feed it, but I was honestly hoping for more blitzkrieg.
Is it a sling? Because if it is that is normal for it to be like that at that size. If you want a crazy T just wait until it’s bigger.

Tnoob

Is it a sling? Because if it is that is normal for it to be like that at that size. If you want a crazy T just wait until it’s bigger.
It isn't bigger than my thumbnail. About nickel/dime size. I figured it would do this because it is a sling. I guess it will come out on it's own when it's ready. My H. Pulchripes who I bought with it is very active, and I love watching it. It's just a little worrying, right? Like," are you okay, little dude"?

nedaK

If you want something that is always out and about with a great feeding response I recommend Nhandu Chromatus (my favorite species). Mine are always out and always hungry (most of the time). :D

nedaK

It isn't bigger than my thumbnail. About nickel/dime size. I figured it would do this because it is a sling. I guess it will come out on it's own when it's ready. My H. Pulchripes who I bought with it is very active, and I love watching it. It's just a little worrying, right? Like," are you okay, little dude"?
It is probably adjusting to its new home. Slings don’t do too much anyway, at least in my experience.

Tnoob

Treat an OBT as semi-arboreal with not too much substrate and it will show itself more as it grows. All slings tend to burrow at first.
I wouldn't mind doing something else with the enclosure, but I'm afraid I'll cause issues if I try to change something in there right now. I can see where it has burrowed fairly deep. I'd be so sad if something bad happened to it. I love my little spiders. They're the best.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I wouldn't mind doing something else with the enclosure, but I'm afraid I'll cause issues if I try to change something in there right now. I can see where it has burrowed fairly deep. I'd be so sad if something bad happened to it. I love my little spiders. They're the best.

I'd leave it for now but when you need to rehouse it bear in mind what I've said and also remember that with a T like the OBT it is wise to move it into a container slightly larger than you normally would, it saves too many rehouses.

Tnoob

I'd leave it for now but when you need to rehouse it bear in mind what I've said and also remember that with a T like the OBT it is wise to move it into a container slightly larger than you normally would, it saves too many rehouses.
That's why I rehoused it the moment I got it. I figured it will be about 30 months before it's a juvenile, and I figured a 16 ounce deli cup was a solid choice up until that point. Besides, it was so quiet.

Tnoob

I've been watching, and I've learned where part of the lair is. Appears it's hard at work making some crazy tunnel system.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Don't let that discourage you, all of my OW slings stay out out site, even my pokies like to hide but you can catch them out out late at night sometimes and most grow fast and gain more confidence quickly so more likely to see them. They'll be grown up before you know it and you'll miss watching them grow, guarantee this will make you want to get more.

spodermin

Get a C. Versicolor sling

Youll thank me later.

They're cheap, and at 3/4" you'll see it making a web fortress already. Striking blue.

Otherwise you'll have to live with it. All my slings under 2", especially terrestrial (double especially fossorial) are rarely ever seen let alone leave their burrows. Get another T man so you aren't getting disappointed by the behavior of this one. Best advice I can give you

Tnoob

Get a C. Versicolor sling

Youll thank me later.

They're cheap, and at 3/4" you'll see it making a web fortress already. Striking blue.

Otherwise you'll have to live with it. All my slings under 2", especially terrestrial (double especially fossorial) are rarely ever seen let alone leave their burrows. Get another T man so you aren't getting disappointed by the behavior of this one. Best advice I can give you
I want one of those.