• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding wild crickets

Antsman

3 Year Member
My T wouldn't eat super worms, I think they were to big he/she would just run from them and the lady I got it from was feeding crickets. So I went to my grandparents property and caught a few wild crickets, black and brown. I checked them over and they had no mites or anything, and there are no pesticides anywhere near. All natural.
I gut loaded them with oatmeal, apples,and potatoes. When I offered the cricket to him/her, it was an immediate attack, very fast. I ordered some crickets to breed, but would the wild ones be ok until they come?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The problem with wild caught is the chance of infesting your Tarantula with nematodes or other parasites. It's not always what we can see that poses the danger. Also, without knowing where the crickets came in from the risk of pesticides is always a consideration. Even when we 'think' they might be safe. I would wait for the crickets you ordered or keep trying the worms just in smaller pieces.

Antsman

3 Year Member
Okay thank you, guaranteed no pesticides, I feed them to my ant colonies with no trouble, but i'll keep a good eye on her/him. I offered a meal worm and he/she nailed it. I though they were to small for her. My mistake. He/She has taken a second meal worm, and he/she takes them down fast and hard. Scared me the first time as I only have 3" feather grip tweezers at the moment.

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Okay thank you, guaranteed no pesticides, I feed them to my ant colonies with no trouble, but i'll keep a good eye on her/him. I offered a meal worm and he/she nailed it. I though they were to small for her. My mistake. He/She has taken a second meal worm, and he/she takes them down fast and hard. Scared me the first time as I only have 3" feather grip tweezers at the moment.
no way to guarantee no pesticides. Crickets can travel for miles. I'd say better safe than sorry and not feed any wild prey to the Ts.

Latest posts