• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding super worms long term

Cam

3 Year Member
New T keeper here. I have a juvenile 3 in. B albopilosum that has previously been fed crickets. I had the cricket keeper and all requirements to keep the crickets alive, however they kept dying on me, smelled bad, etc. I was fed up, so I decided to try superworms as an alternative to the crickets, and she loved them, and has taken them for two feedings now. So far, the worms are much easier to keep, so I was wondering if that would be healthy for the T to be eating super worms as it’s only/main food source, or if I should still be feeding crickets periodically? I have heard superworms have a higher fat content, so seems like it could be unhealthy?

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
I'm a relatively new keeper also, but I know that I have read that feeding superworms as a sole food source isn't very healthy because of the fat content as you said. But it wouldn't surprise me if someone on here feeds mainly worms. For everything I read there's always someone who does the opposite and insists it works out for them. Hopefully more experienced keepers will chime in with their opinions.

Cam

3 Year Member
Thanks for the reply, hopefully some more people will chime in like you said. I know it’s probably best to feed a variety anyways, but it does make things difficult since I only have one T who eats about 2 items a week. It just wouldn’t make sense to buy a bag of crickets AND the worms, but maybe I could rotate out the type of prey every month or so?