• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

feeding slings

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
ok so I just got a bunch of slings and was wondering what you all do when your slings have themselves burrowed down below the substrate? should I skip feeding that one and wait for it to be on the surface?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just place it in there and give it a chance to find it, Mine always come out and get their food ^.^

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That used to drive me nuts when I first started raising slings. :) If they're hungry, they'll emerge to grab the prey. If you're feeding live, just drop the feeder in at night and check to see if it was consumed the next morning. If feeding prekilled, just drop it at the mouth of the burrow.

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
ok so I have a g. pulchripes sling that is super tiny like an 1/8 in and the first day it arrived I got it to take the smallest baby mealworm I could find in my colony but since then it hasn't eaten... I keep leaving dead crickets (tiny ones) in there for him/her but as far as I have seen it has left them alone so my question is.... how long can something that small go between feedings and how long until it starts to get bigger and I can worry less about it lol

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ok so I just got a bunch of slings and was wondering what you all do when your slings have themselves burrowed down below the substrate? should I skip feeding that one and wait for it to be on the surface?
Some tarantulas are fossforial burrowers and rarely come up to the surface. If they're that hungry, they'll eat it once they notice it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ok so I have a g. pulchripes sling that is super tiny like an 1/8 in and the first day it arrived I got it to take the smallest baby mealworm I could find in my colony but since then it hasn't eaten... I keep leaving dead crickets (tiny ones) in there for him/her but as far as I have seen it has left them alone so my question is.... how long can something that small go between feedings and how long until it starts to get bigger and I can worry less about it lol
Premolt maybe? or maybe the worm was enough food it doesn't need to eat for a day or 2. I'd keep trying and take the food out after a couple hours. No idea how fast they grow that small or how much/often they eat. I'm still learning the habits of my 1/4" vagans :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For slings that small I would cut a piece off a superworm and put it by the burrow. They'll feast on it for a day, if they're hungry. I fed all my tiny ones like that, it worked well and was safe. Just have to remember to take it out after a day if they don't eat. It will start stinking quick.

Latest posts