• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding mealworms

crotalus

3 Year Member
so i have a sling g. Pulchripes, maybe an inch. I've been feeding crickets, but i hate the buggers, and i worry abput being able to get them out if she doesn't eat because of premolt or whatever. I'd rather not prekill, because her feeding response is good, and let the hunter hubt or whatever. If i give mealworms, am i gonna have to wlrry about them burying themselves? Is there a better option that isn't roaches?

Livingdeadgirl08

3 Year Member
Why dont you like to use roaches? Theyre easily kept in a storage bin and eat pumkin. Super easy to handle and they wont harm your T. Super worms and meal worms are a pain to keep and they sometimes dig into the substrate and you cant get them out.

timc

3 Year Member
Mealworms will definitely burry themselves if not prekilled. If you don’t want to prekill and can’t do roaches (i’m In the same boat) crickets probably really are the best route.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just a suggestion, there are mealworms bowl/cup available. They are curved to prevent the mealworms from climbing out although it wouldn't be an issue for a T and she could just grab what she needs when she feels hungry. I totally understand the wife's point of you about having roaches in the house. Mine said the same thing when I had 2 Ts and wanted to breed dubias...so I now have a garage, breeding all different kinds of roaches and 32 Ts :D
Any chance you could do a little setup/tank for the roaches outside the house?

crotalus

3 Year Member
Just a suggestion, there are mealworms bowl/cup available. They are curved to prevent the mealworms from climbing out although it wouldn't be an issue for a T and she could just grab what she needs when she feels hungry. I totally understand the wife's point of you about having roaches in the house. Mine said the same thing when I had 2 Ts and wanted to breed dubias...so I now have a garage, breeding all different kinds of roaches and 32 Ts :D
Any chance you could do a little setup/tank for the roaches outside the house?

100% no go.