• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding Avicularia Avicularia is there a trick to it.....

ryanm7277

I have 2 Avic. Avic. and one took a super worm the other was like hmmm what you got there and then was like nope not interested get it away from. Sadly I dorpped it in the enclosure and it burrowed so now I have to rehouse/clean out the substrate. Is there a trick to feeding avics? Shadow doesn't seem to want to eat at all and blacky took the worm the first time but isn't interested anymore. I am waiting for crickets to come so hoping that maybe if I throw a cricket in there will she eat it?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The trick is finding what they like. I largely use deheaded mealworms for my slings. I use whole mealworms, as they are easier to find & remove. And I dehead them so they do not bury themselves & because it gives the slings easy access to the soft, moist inside.

For juvi's & adults I normally use size appropriate crickets. I generally leave them in for 24 hours, but have a couple of T's where they need 48 hours.

T's eat when they are ready to eat & can go many weeks & months without eating. They also normally stop eating when they are pre molt. Also, different T's have different feeding responses. I have a couple who will immediately attack a cricket, but then back off. Some T's will rarely eat it until it's dark & quiet. Some will eat Hoppers, (Locusts.) Some will not eat certain foods ever. Others will readily devour anything offered.