• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding after molt

rénee

3 Year Member
I'm just wondering as to how long slings usually start eating after they molt. I know every T will be different, but I'm just curious because my A. Avic sling molted 2 weeks ago, and hasn't come out of its webbing at all(that I know of), I offer food every few days but no-go, even my adult G. Rosea ate quicker after she molted than the little one. I'm sure that when it gets hungry enough it will venture out, I think I'm just looking for some reassurance hahah.

Thanks guys :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I usually wait 3-5 days. Then make sure their fangs are black. My rosea molted and had black fangs 3 days after. She's one ferocious little eater. I accidentally dropped 2 pinhead roachers in her enclosure and she tackled one right off, then chased after the 2nd to eat them both at once lol.

For the avics i don't know. Mine hasn't eaten for 2 or 3 weeks, so i'm hoping it's premolt. She's still plump and moving around. I'm hoping it will be soon. This will be her first molt in our care. :)

N8tive556

3 Year Member
I used to wait about 3 days or so, than after reading about the possible injuries that may incur from feeding too soon, I started waiting the full 5 days. My A. Avicularia, is a pig, 5 days after his last molt he snagged 2 crickets at once off the floor of his enclosure! How long are you leaving the feeders in there? Has she shown heavy webbing recently?

micheldied

3 Year Member
For smaller slings, usually a week or less is enough time for them to harden up. However, if they were well-fed before the molt they could still go very long without food after. Of course, it's possible there is some kind of health problem with your spider, but you won't know until it decides to come out.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As a rule I usually keep food away from all my Ts (Adult or slings) for 7 days. Gives them all time to get used to the new skin and generally makes them that little more interested in the prey item. My B. Boheimi is an absolute savage when it comes to eating atm, never seen these type so aggressive towards anything that hits the floor. Even pounced on some water Ithat dripoed when I was filling the bowl. Made me laugh that it had gone on pursuit mode and had an epic fail....lol. agree with other posts here. Keep offering, remove if they don't take and should be all good. Keep us posted.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love watching my boehmei feed :) such a brawler, almost as bad as the genic. Unfortunately he's burried away in pre molt now so it will be a few more weeks before he molts.

For my tiny slings 3 days has been plenty for them to darken and the fangs to turn black. the larger ones 1/2" - 1" i wait 5 days and check, usually they're fangs are black and ready to feed after 5. the few i have over an inch i give a week and check the fangs.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was about to ask the above question. As I have had 2 slings molt recently & last night I realised I did not know how long to wait before feeding with a newly molted sling. In general I am dropping food in twice a week, but 3 times if I am not sure if they are eating or not.

Food for my micro dot H chilenis is a chopped in half mealworm. But at 0.5cm, I am not going to even try & see if their fangs are black or not.

Now I do not need to start a new thread. But I will post here & bump this old post, as I am sure I am not the only newer T owner here.

Latest posts