• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

feeding after molt

meag

3 Year Member
how long should i wait to feed my avicularia after it molted? it didnt eat for over a month before it molted so i feel like it has to be hungry so i want to feed it but do i need to wait more than a few days? it molted a week ago today

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
how long should i wait to feed my avicularia after it molted? it didnt eat for over a month before it molted so i feel like it has to be hungry so i want to feed it but do i need to wait more than a few days? it molted a week ago today
It should be safe to feed after a week. The really large spiders may wait a month before they'll take prey, but those are the bigger, older spiders.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Concur with Mass. Experts say you can feed a T when the fangs harden and turn black. But, I think that can be near impossible on a small fast spider.
I guess if the spider is an adult or sub-adult and doesn't spend its life hiding, you can always check the fangs.