• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeder cricket causes parasites

Aliallaie

Hello
i was wondering has anyone viewed the new exotic lair video of a tarantula dying from parasites That it caught from eating feeder crickets? He explains and advices against feeding crickets to tarantula. But he also says part of the reason is that in his country feeder crickets are kept in disgusting conditions Which causes growth of bacteria and parasites and is transferred to the T when they eat it. Has anyone here had any experience in this topic or had their tarantula die from parasites? I’m a bit concerned.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Haven't watched the video but is possible to get contaminated feeders.
Thats why feeding wild caught pray is a No No.
I always get my feeders from a reputable source and put as much into caring for them as I put for my tarantulas.Regular husbanry all the way for me.
Regards Konstantin

I watched that video today and realized that I need to stop being lazy and start pulling out the dead crickets. I don’t breed them, I buy mine from petco mostly but I’m terrible at actually pulling any crickets that die out of the container. I usually wait until all that’s left is dead ones and throw them out and clean the container with hot water then let it dry before I get more crickets. It seems like I’ve been lucky not to have any problems over the last 4 or so years.

Aliallaie

I guess I should say I’ve been lucky too so far. Because I didn’t really know how to keep crickets and of course didn’t think to remove the dead ones on my last batch of crickets I ordered from flukers. All the slings I have ordered this past month have been feeding on roaches. Only my juveniles got the crickets. I hope nothing happens they’re a year old.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You can keep crickets on vermiculite or coco fibre, good for humidity, damp to the touch but not wet. Use egg crate for hides. Both of these will help control odor too.

Feed them using food bowls and remove food before it molds. Oranges, apples, hard veggies like broccoli hold up well, usually. Use water gel for water. Replace it every few days.

If you want to breed crickets there is a good video online, but it's easier to buy them when you need them and yes, cull the dead ones daily if you don't feed them out right away.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My advice would be if youwatch exotics lair use it as anything other than entertainment. I haven’t seen the video but I saw the unboxing of the T and it was a P Pulcher I believe? It wasn’t in the best condition to start with tbh but he did next to nothing to help it recover.
He’s in South Africa and most products aren’t to the best of standards. In the USA and Europe feeders are farmed to high enough standards parasites shouldn’t be anything to worry about.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My advice would be if youwatch exotics lair use it as anything other than entertainment. I haven’t seen the video but I saw the unboxing of the T and it was a P Pulcher I believe? It wasn’t in the best condition to start with tbh but he did next to nothing to help it recover.
He’s in South Africa and most products aren’t to the best of standards. In the USA and Europe feeders are farmed to high enough standards parasites shouldn’t be anything to worry about.
That's not true at all. Feeders here are treated the same way as anywhere else. Because its human nature.

Latest posts