• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Favorite Genus

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good question, difficult to answer lol.
Because I have limited space, I have tried to keep a variety of genii. I do however have 2 Grammostola (Rosea RCF and Acteon) and 2 Avicularia (Versicolor and sp. amazonica), so maybe I am partial to those 2? I think if I was to get another T, I'd be looking in the Brachypelma genus (I've got a Boehmei, but keep ogling at the Auratum).

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thats a hard one, Going to say Grammostola for terrestrial and Avicularia for arboreal
This is because I adore my grumpy porteri girl, and what's not to like about an avic :p

I enjoy all of them and one day would like to have a larger collection, but common is ok with me and I love my ordinary T's ^^

Last edited:

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yikes, this is a hum-dinger. :) Can I narrow it down to one terrestrial and one arborea? If so, then I would go with Phormictopus and Poecilotheria...for now, at least. :p

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Haplopelma. Don't ask me why? No clue but they continue to fascinate me.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I might have to say Cyriocosmus simply because I have 4 of them (2 x elegans, bertae and Midnight Blue) but I'm also in love with my little Ami

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Well, I must admit it changes every day. But for today, sunday the 7th, it'll be Phormictopus: big, beautiful in a subtle way (nice little touches of colors, prosoma often with metallic glares, etc.), with attitude to sell and always hungry (as quoted from Gollum). And they are always in the open (not like the sissies from OW), daring to tell us: "You wanna mess with me, punk?!". Even the name is so cool: PHORMICTOPUS...

micheldied

3 Year Member
Good question, difficult to answer lol.
Because I have limited space, I have tried to keep a variety of genii. I do however have 2 Grammostola (Rosea RCF and Acteon) and 2 Avicularia (Versicolor and sp. amazonica), so maybe I am partial to those 2? I think if I was to get another T, I'd be looking in the Brachypelma genus (I've got a Boehmei, but keep ogling at the Auratum).

The plural for genus is actually genera. :p

As a whole genus without any species I don't find unattractive, I would have to say the Poecilotheria are my favorites, and Theraphosa a very close second. Most other genera have only a few species I like.

syzygy

3 Year Member
I've noticed that the B.Albo gets a lot of love on this site so I'm surprised that Kormath is the first to say Brachy.

I'm going to 2nd your vote for Brachypelma. I've owned most (typically multiples) at one time or another and have found them to be very interesting, hardy and distinctly differing in their personalities. B.Klassi and Albo are on my short list of future additions.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Aaaaah... Brachypelma klaasi (sigh)... So very underrated...

95d09a4042cc6e9dd3ba0d323b33a19b.jpg

84b1f2b1ebed33d75c9b198cdf0e73f1.jpg

Rockpython

3 Year Member
My favorite genra is hard to pin down, but Psalmopoeus is up there, hanging out with Lasiodora and Poecilotheria