• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fast growers

Rickdawg73

3 Year Member
Hey everyone! I recently purchased a GBB and B. Vagans (Mexican Red Rump) from Jamie's Tarantulas. I can't say enough about these 2 little guys as they have me peering into they're enclosures almost hourly..lol. I'm thinking of getting another "beginner" T but want something similar to my GBB which is pretty active and eats really good. Also looking for something that won't take 10 years to grow into a nice sized juvi. What would you guys recommend? Sure I can buy an juvi and 1 1/2-2" but (A) I don't want to pay $80 for a juvi when shipping is $50 and (B) I want to "grow" with my T. 3/4 to 1" usually won't break the bank and will allow me to get accustomed to their behavior. I've watched a lot of vids (mostly from Tom) but just can't decide..so....

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Avicularia avicularia, Theraphosa stirmi, Nhandu chromatus, Carabena versicolor. All grow pretty fast... Avicularia avicularia pinktoes grow fairly well and are fun to watch. They eat well and make cool hammocks. T. Stirmi would be a total hands off type of T. A little towards the intermediate side but if purchased as a sling I think you could grow with it. Nhandu chromatus are extremely fast growing and aggressive eaters. Carabena versicolor are fast growing and amazing to look at...real similar habits as the pinktoe.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Can't go wrong with any of the suggestions but as Enn and MassExodus said, Lp is the best recommendation if you want something easy to care for and super fast growing. Great Ts, you won't be disappointed with a Lp.

If you're leaning toward a arboreal species I might add Psalmopoeus Pulcher along to the mix. Fast growing and pretty easy going, atleast in my experience. If you want a good in between beginner to intermediate, these are great, like other psalmopoeus species they can be quite fast, but overall much more docile than others in the genus. Enough to keep you on your toes but still easily manageable.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
A. geniculata
P. cancerides (i recommend this one hesitantly as they are more for the intermediate as far as temperament is concerned)
N. chromatus
So glad you mentioned P.cancerides, or any phormictopus species at that. They are a little more advanced as fare as husbandry and not to mention the attitude, but still easily manageable. Definitely fast growing and a fun T to raise.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you want to live on the edge a little psalmopoeus irminia "suntiger" are super fast growing and fast as well. I've had many in the past. I recently got a sling about 8 months ago...about 1". It is now around 4".
If you keep them in the right enclosure and respect their speed their not that bad. Their a new world Arboreal that don't have urticating hairs. It also will help you move up to pokies if that is in your future. One of my favorite fast growing species. Also very cheap.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any Lasiodora will grow fairly fast and there are quite a few species to choose from. My L Klugi was my second tarantula, very easy to deal with. In fact, a sling or juvenile would be a good first tarantula for some people.

Tom's big spiders has videos on 2 species. The overall temperament of mine is calm as long as she had access to her hiding place. I only ever got a threat display when she outgrew her usual hide and became too chubby to get back in.

There's a powerful feeding response that'll show up once they stop burrowing and hang out in the open. Attacking the water dish when you fill it is typical. They think everything is food, not aggressive behavior. In fact, they eat like garbage disposals unless in premolt.

Frog moss is also appreciated and mine hates any substrate with even a small amount of vermiculite.
L klugi Justina molt 12-28-17_2.jpg

Of course, LPs are equally awesome. Other species include fracta and difficilis among quite a few others.

Tom's big spiders has done videos on 2 species in this genus.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Look into a C Versicolor sling. They have a medium to maybe medium fast growth rate depending on temps and feeding. The color changes from molt to molt are fascinating. Mine just molted by surprise in her new enclosure posted elsewhere on this forum. It tends to hide in a web but is truly a breath taking tarantula, arguably one of the prettiest spiders on Earth. One other thing, older caresheets say keep them humid--all lies!! They live in trees which have lower humidity and excellent ventilation. The only water source you need is a water dish that stays supplied with water 24/7. They do NOT need wet substrate or misting on a regular basis. I will add a small amount of humidity if I see molting or has just molted but mine has done just fine when I didn't catch the molting.
C Versicolor sexing 3.jpg
Versicolor 2molt6.jpg

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I keep them at 75 degrees and on the dry side with a good soaking once a month. I raise pulchers and my suntigers just like pokies. Cork bark leaned against the back of the enclosure and some low ground plants with alittle moss. They will slightly burrow behind the bark and build a dirt curtain. I just uploaded a video in my gallery of a suntiger rehousing...that will give you a idea of the set up.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As far as arboreals i am recommending:

P. Pulcher
P. cambridgei (supposedly not as defensive as others in the genus)

I can't really give any input on them since i do not own either species yet (just ordered both a few weeks ago). All i can say is you can't go wrong with either one of them as they are both stunning.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just got confirmation on pamphometeous sp machala, soon to be my next one!! Now I'm just waiting for a PayPal request and tracking number!!

Google images has these and they're so varied is amazing it's the same species. That makes it even more fun.

If all goes according to plan, I'll get it Friday!! :) :)

Latest posts