• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

extracting m balfouri for rehousing

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I detected what I think is mold in my M balfouri enclosure so it makes sense to rehouse ASAP.

Currently, she's in one of those 4x4x4 terrestrial enclosures by Jamie's. Sadly, the old one doesn't quite fit in the new one with the lid closed. It will fit inside but stands higher then the top of the cage. They're a few possibilities. The new enclosure is the old 3 gallon one that previously housed my scorpion and then my L Klugi, both of which thrived in there.

Since m balfouri only gets 5 inches or so I've heard, it should be a good forever home.

(I don't want contaminated substrate in the new enclosure obviously.)

#1 place old enclosure inside of new enclosure, which is in my usual tote box in the bathtub. Set up a drip to gradually flood the old one with cool water until she runs out, over the side and into the new one.

2. Put the old enclosure into the tote and carefully dig her out. Use a catch cup. The question is can she easily run up the sides? Then transfer the catch cup into the new enclosure removing the cardboard. If I leave it there upside down, digging down into the dirt and out ought to be real easy for her.

3. Construct a cardboard section 4x4 in size. Put a 3/16ths hole in one corner for the water dripper. Cut another hole, about 1.5"in the center with a catch cup taped over the top. Use gradual flooding to drive her into the catch cup. Quickly use a second piece to block her in the catch cup and then transfer that way.

This sorta copies how dark den does OBTs and fast moving slings except for use of water.

The tunnels within the enclosure are extensive and have multiple exits, some of which I can't even see. I don't anticipate get getting trapped and cool to sightly cold water should be annoying enough to get her out.

She routinely runs out and attacks the water dish when that's filled it else inspects it a few minutes later.

I see no need to remove the catch cup out until she leaves on her own, might tip it sideways with narrow tongs or a straw with the lid open just a slit however.

Also, does adding bit of sand to Eco Earth help hold up a burrow better? The substrate will be much deeper with much more horizontal space. I feel the tunnels might be at a greater risk for collapse.

Yes, she will inherit the infamous skull enjoyed by the previous occupant. Obviously, everything will be thoroughly cleaned so no scents of others remains.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sand by itself or mixed with other dry substrate wont help with tunneling. Excavator clay is fantastic though. You can mix a small amount with your eco earth, damp, make a few starter tunnels and let it dry: voila! Tunneling heaven. Wont collapse from later moistening either. I suggest experimenting with it, it's the best thing I've seen for burrowers.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I tried using the flood technique, in a rush because the mold got worse and I confirmed that was what it was.

Although she was still alive when rehoused and climbed up vertical in the catch cup, which I left in the enclosure, she's become not responsive.

I'm going to give her 24 hours in a catch cup on a dry paper towel but fear the worse. Digging her out might've been a better decision, assuming there wasn't something else wrong.

I noticed unusually slow movement throughout.

Latest posts