• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Experimenting with dubia roaches....

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So, bare with me here :)
My dubia's colony is very healthy (in the thousands) and I just started an experimentation with them.
A few of my adult females arboreal are in exo terra 12x12x24 and I decided to add 10 small dubias of different size from just hatched to 1/2"
I usually feed the arboreal with dubia at least 1" and crush their heads to stop them from burrowing or playing dead and will continue to do so.
The goal of the experiment is to see if they would thrive and act as a cleanup crew as well by eating leftovers as well as dead vegetation.
My adult females arboreal are not anywhere near molting as well as leaving above the ground and also quite large. I have never witness a small dubia arming an adult T although I do witness from time to time cannibalism in the colony but usually only when one of them is dead or stuck.
I will update this thread of course with my findings but was wondering if anyone else tried this before.

P.S: the idea came after I fed an adult female dubia to one of my T last year. Once attacked, the dubia dropped a row of eggs (as they ofetn do) and I left it there thinking it'll be eaten probably after the dubia is finished. The next day it was gone entirely. A few months back I started to notice 1/4" little dubias roaming on the enclosure floor :)
A few of them are still there, close to an inch although many have "disappeared" while the T remains plump.....