• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exotics lair 20 OBTs rehoused in one sitting

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here, this individual gets his friend who is probably less experienced to rehouse 20 slings one after another.

This shows how OW tarantulas can move and suggests that several changes can be made. First, since these guys are flighty a larger enclosure might be best. One cotton ball could be removed and the straw simply dropped in. If a premade burrow was present, they would likely go there or else the straw could be used as a hide until the T outgrows it.

Overall, the speed is similar to M balfouri and H pulchripes, but these guys are just as likely to run up instead of down and sideways which is a difference & a problematic one at that.

Heck, I might well even just go with an arboreal enclosure is I were to get this species, a juvenile sized one. My versicolor sling did just fine at .75 dls in an enclosure that many said was way too large. Once I got a web, I just tong fed feeders right into it no problem.

I also tend to do all my unboxing in a a plastic tub in my bathtub with an inch of cool water in the plastic tub. I place styrofoam in the middle and the new enclosure on that. If the T runs, there's amote of sorts and I haven't seen a T that likes cold wet feet. They can simply run around until they end up inside, which was basically how I did my most recent pokie unboxing, only 2 of them not 20.

The video is hilarious & it's not my fault if you become hysterical for hours.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Whitelightning777 I don't envy that friend :).
OBT are semi arboreal, I kept mine in a 12x12x18" ExoTerra and she used all of it. Best advice is always to put an OBT into a larger container than you would any other T to reduce the number of times it has to be rehoused.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've done the same thing with my pokies for the same reason.

It makes you wonder if other baboons might be semi arboreals as well.

Thought experiment: (potential future experiment)

Suppose you put 3 M balfouri slings into an arboreal enclosure with plenty of webbing anchor points or maybe even crossed over hanging vines that hung from each corner and meet in the middle to make a funnel shaped structure for a web.

Having lots of white points world also minimize fall risks or prevent that entirely.

Would they use all of it or just burrow under the water dish in the bottom?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are also the 2 most aggressive arboreals, especially the feather leg. I saw a S cal for sale at a pet store. Written on the cage was experienced keepers only -- demon attitude venomous aggressive word for word. It was there for quite a while.

My pokies are all pretty laid back. The male P vittata did panic during rehousing and ran from one side of the cage across the back of my hand before I even realized it and then settled in nicely. The outside of the vials were over 100 degrees because of the weather and I wanted then out of there.

I probably should've let everything cool off first but it went well.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They are also the 2 most aggressive arboreals, especially the feather leg. I saw a S cal for sale at a pet store. Written on the cage was experienced keepers only -- demon attitude venomous aggressive word for word. It was there for quite a while.

My pokies are all pretty laid back. The male P vittata did panic during rehousing and ran from one side of the cage across the back of my hand before I even realized it and then settled in nicely. The outside of the vials were over 100 degrees because of the weather and I wanted then out of there.

I probably should've let everything cool off first but it went well.

I've kept both from slings and not seen a threat pose from either. The H.mac is a chicken, pure panic if I disturb him until he gets into hiding. The S.calc was pretty much the same, I'm now rearing another sling and it's worse still, I hardly see it

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What a horrible video of a fool rehousing slings...that's exactly how not to do it. He's lucky he didn't kill them jabbing the tongs in the straws.

@Enn49 Heres my male and female Obts. I set them up semi arboreal and they have webbed clear to the top.
20180819_172444.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't understand why he just didn't remove one cotton ball and slowly push the other through with the lids cracked open only enough to get the straw in.

I bet if there was a small plastic leaf, they'd mostly go for that. The point of sharing this is to observe the tarantulas not the idiot.

Latest posts