• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exotic feeder question (Hercules Beetle Grubs)

Volkswachter

I don't know how I've gone this long without seeing a Dynastes hercules larva before;

1612875880032.png

And my first thought was "My blondi could probably eat that"; before I go and buy a colony of grubs to farm as feeders for my larger Ts, does anyone know whether or not these larvae comes with any surprises? Toxins? Poisonous? etc? Are they safe to feed to tarantulas? From egg to pupa, they range in size per instar that makes them idea for almost any juvenile T to adult T and they seem really easy to raise. I have zero luck keeping crickets alive and breeding, this might be a good alternative.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Dubia's are federally prohibited in Canada or I would be, I've seen listings for them on one of our buy/sell websites but I'm always dubious (haha..) of them, like how are they getting away with selling them when they're illegal.
My Ts prefer red runners, are those illegal for you, too?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Happy to smuggle some dubias across the border to trade for Hercules larvae :D
I think it would be very expensive to feed your Ts with gigantic beetle larva, needless to say they have a fairly slow growth and many of these beetles are endangered. Are there any other options than crickets? Can you get some grasshoppers, maybe some superworms from time to time to diversify the offering?
778BD7A5-AF9B-481D-83AE-A96290236707.jpeg

This lady would eat anything presented to her ;)

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Dubia's are federally prohibited in Canada or I would be, I've seen listings for them on one of our buy/sell websites but I'm always dubious (haha..) of them, like how are they getting away with selling them when they're illegal.

Dubious Dubia's for sale made me laugh ahaha :p

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
HOLY wowie!! That is one large larva!!

I don't know how I've gone this long without seeing a Dynastes hercules larva before;
View attachment 53612
And my first thought was "My blondi could probably eat that"; before I go and buy a colony of grubs to farm as feeders for my larger Ts, does anyone know whether or not these larvae comes with any surprises? Toxins? Poisonous? etc? Are they safe to feed to tarantulas? From egg to pupa, they range in size per instar that makes them idea for almost any juvenile T to adult T and they seem really easy to raise. I have zero luck keeping crickets alive and breeding, this might be a good alternative.