• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exo terra screen replacement

Will

3 Year Member
So I decided to replace the screen on an Exo Terra 8x8x12 with some perspex to a) avoid mishaps with the metal screen, and b) so I could add a 'feeding hatch'.

20160904_230237_001.jpg
20160904_230248.jpg
20160904_230411.jpg
20160904_230503.jpg

I have feeding hatches on all my smaller enclosures and much prefer them to opening a lid or door. It's much less intrusive.

Now I just need to figure out how to add a locking mechanism to the hatch...

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I decided to replace the screen on an Exo Terra 8x8x12 with some perspex to a) avoid mishaps with the metal screen, and b) so I could add a 'feeding hatch'.

View attachment 18978 View attachment 18979 View attachment 18980 View attachment 18981

I have feeding hatches on all my smaller enclosures and much prefer them to opening a lid or door. It's much less intrusive.

Good work fella ☺I like to do similar things to make them how they should have been manufactured in he first place. You hear a lot of stories of the claws getting stuck in the mesh too so improved safety for the T is the cherry on the top. Looks cool.

Will

3 Year Member
Thanks, I used cobalt metal drill bits and it took ages! Not looking forward to when I have to do it again for my P. irminia and P. metallica!

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

View attachment 18978 View attachment 18979 View attachment 18980 View attachment 18981

Great idea with that hatch.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks, I used cobalt metal drill bits and it took ages! Not looking forward to when I have to do it again for my P. irminia and P. metallica!
Try tungsten coated bits, I've had better luck with those on acrylic.