• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exo Terra screen lid mod

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Trying this out for my larger arboreals starting with a nano tall
PXL_20210731_211311131.MP.jpg
PXL_20210731_211317355.MP.jpg

It's 4.5mm open weave stainless wire cloth from Amazon. I cut it to size with tin snips and shoved it into the channel on the kid similarly to how the original lid is made. I got glued it in just to be safe.

We shall see how it works out

Jeef

How is that different from the regular screen top? I thought the bad thing about screens was T's could get their claws caught between where the wires overlap. Is it for a wider mesh instead?

I'd been mentally toying with the idea of hardware cloth. Not sure if I could find some with a narrow enough mesh.

I'm genuinely interested. Much to my dismay, I've taken to reading about P. formosa and we all know where that sort of thing leads. I am probably going to end up doing something very similar to this.

Jenniferinfl

I'm curious how it holds up for you. Is that hot glue?
I was using hot glue for things, but, between the heat and humidity I'm having it not hold. But, I think my glue gun is just a low heat craft one. I had glued a bunch of window screen for ventilation in a roach tote and the whole piece just plopped out today. So freakin glad it was the discoid bin and not the banana roach bin. Yikes.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How is that different from the regular screen top? I thought the bad thing about screens was T's could get their claws caught between where the wires overlap. Is it for a wider mesh instead?

I'd been mentally toying with the idea of hardware cloth. Not sure if I could find some with a narrow enough mesh.

I'm genuinely interested. Much to my dismay, I've taken to reading about P. formosa and we all know where that sort of thing leads. I am probably going to end up doing something very similar to this.
Good point. I went 2.0
I'm curious how it holds up for you. Is that hot glue?
I was using hot glue for things, but, between the heat and humidity I'm having it not hold. But, I think my glue gun is just a low heat craft one. I had glued a bunch of window screen for ventilation in a roach tote and the whole piece just plopped out today. So freakin glad it was the discoid bin and not the banana roach bin. Yikes.
Yes, hot glue, but not exclusively. I reused the soft piping the original screen is held in with,.hot glue below, and above.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
And here's is how I did it

1. Remove factory spline from lid trying not to rip it.
PXL_20210822_221501528.jpg

I used a small flat blade screwdriver and pick to pry under the factory glue and then pull the spline out by hand.

If you rip the spline, no big deal, you can reinstall in sections. If you have to replace it you can get a roll of 5/16" window screen spline and just use that. A 8x8 lid takes 24" of spline.

2. Cut.a piece pf hardware cloth just a scootch larger than the outer edge of the spline channel.
I eye balled it but it's roughly 6.75" x 6.375" - always favor larger than smaller.
PXL_20210822_215217320.jpg

I used tin snips for this. I suggest you wear gloves, but I didn't so I had some blood stains to clean up.

3. Cut the corners of the screen so you can fold each side down.
PXL_20210822_215312057.jpg

4. Tuck the overhanging edges into the spline channel with your favorite flat blade tool. I used the end of a thick metal ruler and/or flat blade screwdriver.
PXL_20210822_215336671.jpg

Repeat on all 4 sides. Get as tight to the inside edge of the spline channel as possible without pulling the opposite side out.

This takes a bit of practice but the hardware cloth is as easy to unbend as it is to bend, so mistakes are easily corrected.

5. With the screen in place, stuff the spline back into the channel, starting at a corner and anchor with dabs of hot glue in the channel, under the spline.

[took two hands, no pic]

Drive the spline all the way in using a tool, like a wooden ruler, about 2/3 the thickness of the spline material, to get good grip and positive engagement. Repeat as necessary.

6. Load another glue stick into the glue gun and now go all the way around like a welder, dragging a semi-circle bead of glue back and forth across both edges of the channel, covering the spline and both edges of the inside of the channel.

You are looking to anchor the spline into the channel, not glue the cloth down; the pressure of the spline against the cloth tucked into the channel is holding the cloth in.

7. Let the glue dry. I used the refrigerator for this cause lazy and impatient.

Here is my finished product
PXL_20210826_012555956.MP.jpg

I made 6 of these in a row which took about 2 hours.

A 24" roll of 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth cost me $7 at Ace Hardware/Home Depot. I got 3 cut pieces out of each 24" section I cut from the roll.
I have a crap ton of hardware cloth left.

If you want me to do your lids just send them to me along with return postage and a few bucks for materials (glue sticks and whiskey) and I'll be happy to make these for you, too. It's that easy.

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
Job is a good 'un! Very slick and informative.

Hardware cloth. I've never heard the term. Is it an American name, or is it just my natural DIY uselessness shining through?

I used tin snips for this. I suggest you wear gloves, but I didn't so I had some blood stains to clean up

Wince

Let the glue dry. I used the refrigerator for this cause lazy and impatient.

You need a fridge to get hot glue to harden? I have the opposite problem. Slight diversion:

But, I think my glue gun is just a low heat craft one. I had glued a bunch of window screen for ventilation in a roach tote and the whole piece just plopped out today.

I think it's a combination of cheap glue guns and the generally cool climate around here that scuppers me. It holds, but cools so fast that I have to rush, make a mess, and it's still almost hardened by the time I press the pieces together. I've used hot glue on vents since I started keeping roaches years ago, but I was gluing mesh into vents just last night and just decided to revert back to silicone aquarium sealant.

Leepbby

I replaces the screen top in my exotera with plexiglass. I cut it to fit the screen holes then glued it on. Used a sodder tool to melt holes. I can share pics when I get home
The reason he is using this type of wire top is to increase ventilation. Plexiglass would defeat the purpose of what they are trying to accomplish at least in this instance.

LinInuRen

The reason he is using this type of wire top is to increase ventilation. Plexiglass would defeat the purpose of what they are trying to accomplish at least in this instance.
Yea i get that mesh is better for ventilation for some types. It was supposed to be replaced, not replaces. I typed this on my phone at work and cant edit my missed proofing.

OculusLondres

I have the same enclosure for my Avicularia - I got plexiglass from Amazon cut it to the square size as it was a bit larger and drilled holes in it - it fits pretty good, looks nice, and safe for the T.

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I use both, stock mesh tops and drilled acrylic. I definitely like this idea as a replacement for my stockers. I like the acrylic because you can dial in the amount of ventilation you need and it's still pleasing to look at