1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exo Terra Nano

Discussion in 'Tarantula Enclosures' started by Rs50matt, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Rs50matt

Rs50matt Member

so I've heard a lot of people talking about these and what they do with them but I find it abit confusing.
    Mine just arrived , I got the 8x8x8. Im going to use it to house my B Vagans and was wondering if I need to do anything to it?

I've heard a lot of people say they replace the mesh on top and also add cross ventilation. But for a c versi. As my vagans doesn't really climb I don't see the mesh being an issue but I'd rather see what others say
  2. Tortoise Tom

Tortoise Tom Well-Known Member

I also have a few of these enclosure now. In the past I had both G. pulchra and G. pulchripes pull this type of metal screen apart in a smaller lower cage (Not a Nano). If they don't hang out up at the top and its not easily reached, and they have cover and shelter down low, I doubt it will be a problem. I have a juvie G. iheringi in my Nano wide right now and it has never gone up to the top or touched the screen.

So to answer your question, the screen top could be a problem in some cases, but probably won't be a problem in most cases. Definitely something to keep an eye on. It took a couple of weeks for my large Grammostola to get through their screens, and they never got the hole big enough to escape, but they eventually would have. Escape will not happen over night and you will see a problem coming and have time to deal it, if it ever happens.
  3. Rs50matt

Rs50matt Member

Tbh the enclosure my vagans is in atm doesn't give him a chance to climb so I can't garentee it won't but I would think not
    What about cross ventilation? Is it that important for a brachy or grammostola?
  4. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

ExoTerras do have vents below the doors so there is sufficient cross ventilation for both species.
    sdsnybny likes this.
  5. Mr. P

Mr. P Active Member

I have the nano talls and I remove the screens and replace with drilled acrylic as I keep my Avics in them which are arboreals. Replacing the screen for terrestrials isn't neccessary if they don't climb on the screen and if you don't need to keep the humidity up.
    Rs50matt likes this.
  6. Tortoise Tom

I've been a casual tarantula hobbyist since the early 90s. I've never been all that involved or studied much. The cross ventilation thing is a relatively new concept and seems mostly oriented towards arboreals from what I've seen. I've raised a about a dozen Grammostola and Brachypelma over that time and a few others that I'm probably forgetting. Never lost a one, and never had cross ventilation in any of my previous enclosures over that time. All of my enclosures were vented from the tops and in most cases, I covered most of the tops to try to make some moderate humidity in my extremely dry climate here.

I think the venting at the bottoms of the Nano, coupled with the screen tops would count as cross-ventilation too.
  7. Rs50matt

Rs50matt Member

Yea when I get my c versi I will get cross ventilation sorted so it's more natural to where they live. But I guess for my brachy I don't need to do anything. I won't be moving it straight away so I have some time to sort it out
  8. Rs50matt

Rs50matt Member

Cheers for the advice. I'll leave it as is (they look nice) and I'll get it set up and move it when ready.
  9. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 Well-Known Member

I tend to steer away from mesh with terrestrials and leave it with arboreals. I’ve seen most of my terrestrials climb, but they are much more clumsy at it so when they get up on the mesh they have trouble figuring out how to get back off of it. The arboreal are good climbers and I haven’t seen any of them even begin to get stuck on a screen.
    Tortoise Tom likes this.
  10. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

This is a 8x8x8 nano
    Tortoise Tom and sdsnybny like this.
  11. Tortoise Tom

Here is mine:
    IMG_6067.JPG
    And a beauty shot for fun:
    IMG_6069.JPG
  12. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Here's my Versicolor, suspect male Charles, just chilling out.

C versicolor Charles just chilling 2.jpg C versicolor Charles just chilling 3.jpg

He likes the upper left rear corner for whatever reason. There's enough room inside for me to comfortably stick my cellphone camera right up next to him.
Draft saved Draft deleted