• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exo Terra for arboreals

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
I'm looking for an eventual permanent home for my versicolor juvie. I see these Exo Terras posted on here, and they look good, but doesn't seem like they have much cross ventilation. Also the top is screen. Those of you who use these for arboreals, do you remove the screen and replace with acrylic? Is additional ventilation needed on the sides?

Or, does anyone have suggestions for a nice arboreal enclosure? I know Jamie's has nice (but expensive) acrylic ones. What are you guys using to house arboreal adults?

https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Gl...pID=51AzJigoHnL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The ExoTerras do have air vents at the front below the door as well as the mesh top but there is a danger of the T getting a foot caught in the screen. I buy mine from Poland, same sizes as the Exos and all glass but a third of the price. They have the advantage of a coarser mesh for ventilation front and top and best of all they have guillotine type doors which makes life easier when dealing with arboreals that tend to run around the top when disturbed. Maybe you know someone that could make one for you.

Photo was taken just after they arrived so please excuse the packing in the it.
DSCF3947.JPG

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
Oooooh, those are some nice enclosures. There are a lot of glass shops around me, I could probably bring them measurements and have them cut all the glass for me, and then assemble with silicone myself. I wonder what the cost would be for something like that versus just buying something premade.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oooooh, those are some nice enclosures. There are a lot of glass shops around me, I could probably bring them measurements and have them cut all the glass for me, and then assemble with silicone myself. I wonder what the cost would be for something like that versus just buying something premade.

Message me if you want more photos and measurements.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use exo terra enclosures for all my arboreal Ts. The 8x8x12 are perfect for Avics and Versicolors. The 12x12x18 are good for large pokies and goliath pinktoes ect... Arboreal Ts have no issues with the screen tops...only terrestrial Ts. There's plenty of ventilation.
20180301_162127.jpg

Last edited:

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
I use exo terra enclosures for all my arboreal Ts. The 8x8x12 are perfect for Avics and Versicolors. The 12x12x18 are good for large pokies and goliath pinktoes. Arboreal Ts have no issues with the screen tops...only terrestrial Ts. There's plenty of ventilation.View attachment 28410

Your GBB seems to love that arboreal setup, awesome webbing.

With the screen top, do you have issues keeping humidity up? Seems like it'd dry out pretty quickly with an open top like that.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Your GBB seems to love that arboreal setup, awesome webbing.

With the screen top, do you have issues keeping humidity up? Seems like it'd dry out pretty quickly with an open top like that.
Only with my Stirmi's....I just lay a towel on the top restricting a little airflow.

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Yes sorry, those were two different unrelated thoughts lol. I plan on keeping a versicolor in one of these so I wondered about the humidity issue. I keep my GBB dry as well.
If I'm ever worried about a little higher humidity with exotera, I will add a little peat moss in with my coco fiber and vermiculite substrate for certain varieties. It seems to work fine or me.

Parrantula

3 Year Member
The ExoTerras do have air vents at the front below the door as well as the mesh top but there is a danger of the T getting a foot caught in the screen. I buy mine from Poland, same sizes as the Exos and all glass but a third of the price. They have the advantage of a coarser mesh for ventilation front and top and best of all they have guillotine type doors which makes life easier when dealing with arboreals that tend to run around the top when disturbed. Maybe you know someone that could make one for you.

Photo was taken just after they arrived so please excuse the packing in the it.View attachment 28405
Have you got a link to buy those ??

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Your enclosures all look great. I wonder if I should get one for my GBB also. I have him in a terrestrial setup but I know a lot of people do keep them as arboreals and yours clearly enjoy that.
Do it...Just don't post on the other forum...they will have a field day with you. They are anti semi arboreal over there...:D:D:D