• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exo terra : anyone had this problem?

Huntzman90

3 Year Member
Ok so its been roughly a month since ive seen my Brachypelma Albopilosum.. Which is a little odd as its usually quite active even in pre-molt. Well today i discovered why...

20190726_172325.jpg

Its decided to burrow behind the styrofoam background. Ive since cleared more substrate from the 'burrow entrance' (a small hole in the styrofoam) so it can hopefully come out and dig elsewhere or at least feed...

20190726_172250.jpg

So my question is.. Do i force it out and seal off the entrance? Is the substrate perhaps too dry making it difficult to burrow?

Not sure if anyone has experienced this kind of thing with the exo terra enclosures but any advice would be appreciated.

For a laugh i though id share where my Caribena Laeta has decided to web. :)

20190726_172447.jpg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I haven't personally had this problem but I have heard of other who have had-I have also heard of Ts getting stuck behind there whilst moulting and died:(
if I use such enclosures I always remove that Styrofoam backing but its personal choice but as you have found out it can create problems!:)

Huntzman90

3 Year Member
@Arachnoclown Yea its a bit large isnt it, was much smaller than the enclosure the pet shop guy recommended so figured it was ok. It is the nano size so it should hopefully grow into fairly soon? My T's about 2". Thanks for the pictures, I may just remove the backing altogether, but good to know for future reference :)

@ilovebrachys thats sad :( and makes me a little nervous. I might try to take the backing off tonight just incase. Tbh i never liked the background anyway :)

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So my question is.. Do i force it out and seal off the entrance? Is the substrate perhaps too dry making it difficult to burrow?

Not sure if anyone has experienced this kind of thing with the exo terra enclosures but any advice would be appreciated.

The substrate wouldn't be too dry. It'll hold a burrow together with its webbing and albos as with most brachy species prefer it dry.

I'd personally rehouse it into a 16oz deli cup or something a fair bit smaller that the nano it's in now.

I would go off what the pet shop tells you either imo. There are rare cases when the shop does have knowledge but majority of the time they want you to buy their stock so will try sell oversized enclosures to make the money.

Huntzman90

3 Year Member
@Rs50matt I may just do that, I will look for something smaller for it. The pet shop guy actually recommended an enclosure cheaper than the nano but much larger. I had mold in that enclosure so eventually upgraded to the nano.

@MassExodus yea it didnt come out and has already sealed off the entrance that i dug out. Im still a little worried as its due for a molt so I may remove the backing or rehouse it into something smaller.

@Enn49 thats a sad story :( I will definitely be removing both backgrounds from my exo terra enclosures. I have stopped using crickets and have switched to dubias, crickets seem to be nothing but trouble.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
OK, I am new to the hobby. But I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Exo Terra enclosure are anything but as good as some try to suggest.
Even after the few weeks that I have been involved, I already know that the top mesh is known to cause some T's a real problem, which is why so many seem to think that they need to change it for drilled perspex.
And now this polystyrene issue.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OK, I am new to the hobby. But I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Exo Terra enclosure are anything but as good as some try to suggest.
Even after the few weeks that I have been involved, I already know that the top mesh is known to cause some T's a real problem, which is why so many seem to think that they need to change it for drilled perspex.
And now this polystyrene issue.

They are nice enclosures. The mesh lid is fine 99% of the time but I did have 1 T who decided to climb around the lid and got stuck ( I will add this was 100% my mistake) but because of that I changed my ones out for Perspex on terrestrial species.

The back ground issue is only because the enclosures aren't designed for tarantulas so the gaps are to run tubes and cables. A quick fix to adapt to a tarantulas home.

I do like them personally and wouldn't let the occasional bad experience put you off them.

Huntzman90

3 Year Member
@m0lsx they are quite nice looking in my opinion. I have only had the one issue so far. My Caribena Laeta has chosen an odd location to web but seems to do just fine there and the mesh top seems to be no issue whatsoever. As arachnoclown said these enclosures are too large for my T's giving me these problems, I agree and will rehouse them into something smaller soon. So I really have nothing bad to say about the exo terras. Rs50matt makes a great point in saying they weren't necessarily designed for keeping tarantulas (I did not know this.)

@Rs50matt thats interesting. I was curious as to what those gaps in the backing were for. I still think its a nice enclosure and will eventually upgrade the top lid to be safe.

I have removed the backing on my B. Albopilosum's enclosure and will be looking for a smaller enclosure soon.

My Caribena Laeta is about the same size 1.5"- 2" and has webbed up that spot in the top corner.

Does the same rule apply for an arboreal species as far as the enclosure size?
Should I find something smaller for this T aswell or will it grow into it faster?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The thing is...a proper sized spider for that enclosure will never fit back there. That enclosure is for a 6" spider...it cant fit behind the foam. I've got a dozens of ladies in the same enclosures.

Huntzman90

3 Year Member
The thing is...a proper sized spider for that enclosure will never fit back there. That enclosure is for a 6" spider...it cant fit behind the foam. I've got a dozens of ladies in the same enclosures.

Ok I assumed the full size exo terra enclosures would suit a 6" spider where as the nano was more suitable for a sub adult. Thats good to know though.
My Brachypelma I will definitely be rehousing as without the styrofoam background the enclosure is even larger.

I am more interested as to wether or not an arboreal species such as my Caribena Laeta would be ok in the exo terra nano as it will usually stay in its web burrow. This T isnt behind the foam but in the top corner between the mesh and the foam. Its been fine so far and fairly active feeding regularly.

I am new to the hobby so any advice is helpul and very much appreciated.

MissKitty

Ok so its been roughly a month since ive seen my Brachypelma Albopilosum.. Which is a little odd as its usually quite active even in pre-molt. Well today i discovered why...

View attachment 39595

Its decided to burrow behind the styrofoam background. Ive since cleared more substrate from the 'burrow entrance' (a small hole in the styrofoam) so it can hopefully come out and dig elsewhere or at least feed...

View attachment 39597

For a laugh i though id share where my Caribena Laeta has decided to web. :)

View attachment 39598

Get. Rid of it,,unless it us flush with the glass and applied with a ton of glue,they cash getb stuck behind it as can roaches and crickets. I cut mine up into small squares to make ledges and glued them on .

Attachments

• 20190725_085636.jpg
    20190725_085636.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 50

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Get. Rid of it,,unless it us flush with the glass and applied with a ton of glue,they cash getb stuck behind it as can roaches and crickets. I cut mine up into small squares to make ledges and glued them on .
I like that. I get sick of just dirt and dishes. I'm planning on going crazy with some excavator clay and making some good display enclosures for my living room.

Huntzman90

3 Year Member
@Arachnoclown Great setup! Love the shelving as well.

@MissKitty I have removed the foam from my B. Albo's enclosure, and it has finally discovered the broken pot hide I had in the enclosure :)
Thats a great Idea cutting the foam into ledges, I may have to try this :D

Latest posts