• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eublabberus sp ivory

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
AkA the ivory headed roach..ive read rave reviews on these guys, and I just ordered 50 to start a colony. I've been looking kind of casually for these for a while now, they were always sold out or had " contact for availability" under their name. So I was looking for info on Kymuras new roaches, Gyna centurion, and lo and behold, cape cod had some ivory headed roaches;) They get bigger than dubia, and apparently they breed even faster..which hasn't been an issue, but still, bonus. They're kind of expensive for some reason, I don't know if its because they're newly discovered or rare or what, but I'll be reading about them more tonight. By the way in almost sure I spelled Eublabberus wrong..

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Cool, been thinking about getting some of these, however other genera are holding my interests currently, so it may be a while until I get any representatives of this genus. They are seemingly rare, at least compared to other Eublaberus species in the hobby. Let us know when they get there, and be sure to give us some pics! ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cool, been thinking about getting some of these, however other genera are holding my interests currently, so it may be a while until I get any representatives of this genus. They are seemingly rare, at least compared to other Eublaberus species in the hobby. Let us know when they get there, and be sure to give us some pics! ;)
Certainly will, I'm excited to get these finally..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus @Hisserdude I have a question for you guys, are these and the ones I was looking at considered feeders? I dont really want to have something overrun me with babies if they just sit there and continue to breed, and theres only so many folks I could pawn them off on.....

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
@MassExodus @Hisserdude I have a question for you guys, are these and the ones I was looking at considered feeders? I dont really want to have something overrun me with babies if they just sit there and continue to breed, and theres only so many folks I could pawn them off on.....

The Eublaberus sp "Ivory" can be used as feeders, but I think they are supposed to make great pets as well.

The Gyna are small and short lived, so if you start off with a decent sized enclosure I don't think overcrowding should be a problem. Plus, G.centurio is a new, rare species in the hobby, and I don't think it should be too hard to sell some.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, the stuff I read said they should even be a superior feeder to dubia...which is a bold statement, and should be given the pepsi challenge. G centurion is not listed as a feeder. They may be too hard shelled or have a defensive odor, I didn't get that far on them, I got side tracked on the ivory heads :p

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
@MassExodus yeah pics mass! ps: i like that the roach discussions are on this forum. i think it is a little easlier to interact on this forum that the allpets. but thats just my opinion...just sayin. lol

Yeah, though I believe the Allpet roaches forum will be updated soon, and will hopefully have the "like post" feature and the notification when somebody quotes you. I think those two would make the forum more interactive in terms of conversation.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus yeah pics mass! ps: i like that the roach discussions are on this forum. i think it is a little easlier to interact on this forum that the allpets. but thats just my opinion...just sayin. lol
Agreed :) Plus we're just used to this forum. I'm happy we at least got one dedicated roach guy browsing the forums, but id like to see more, and more posts about the other inverts, like mantids, roaches, centipedes, true spiders and such. I'll never lose my love of tarantulas but there's a lot of interesting bugs out there..and its nice to have some variety in your collection, and your forum :)

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Well, Tuesday I got a tracking number on the E. ivory roaches, but the usps site doesn't recognize it..I sent an email but I'm not too concerned. Roaches are tough, I usually don't track them anyway. Hopefully pics tomorrow, or Friday.

Hmm, that kinda sucks. That's one of my favorite parts, tracking them and watching them get closer. Oh well, like you said roaches are tough, it's hard to kill them! Hopefully they come soon, can't wait to see pics! :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh he got back to me immediately, he had left a number out by accident. These guys are always on the ball. They actually just arrived, I just put them in their new house, but it's all nymphs(some good sized, some tiny) and they're buried in the leafy substrate. I'll get some pics in the AM after work, I gave them food but I want to get some carrots and apples for the little guys. But once again, another perfect transaction with Cape Cod Roaches, couldn't recommend them more. Hopefully in a few months I'll be on the boards extolling the virtues of the ivory head roach as a feeder and breeder :)

Latest posts