• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Euathlus S.P Red Enclosure

kaici

Hi, my name is kaici and I’m a new Tarantula mother, I managed to get my hands on a Euathlus S.P Red (Chilean Flame Dwarf) and I’m absolutely in love with him! I’m still quite stressy about him because he’s so tiny (1.5 inches in leg span) and I’m super worried for his fragile self as he seems to be an absolute mad man. My biggest concern at the moment being if he’s going to chew through the plastic ventilation strips on the lid of his enclosure, he hasn’t tried chewing them yet which I’m not sure if he’s just too young or small or quite frankly isn’t bothered but I occasionally have to spend 2 days away from home (I’m able to go back and do a 10 minute check on one of the days most of the time). I know his fangs are still super small at the moment and he doesn’t seem interested in chewing only escaping, I just wasn’t sure if it’s something i should be so anxious about!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome.

Please post some pictures of the enclosure, lid and T, if you can. Those can be helpful.

Also I believe your T has a different name and that it goes by Homeoma chilense. It changed to this name awhile ago and even got updated in February from H. chilenses to H. chilense to better reflect the gender of the Latin name.

If i am wrong, someone please correct me.

Also I think that 1.5 inches is a good starting size for tarantulas as by that size they have usually developed better protective exoskeleton. Plus yours is a dwarf tarantula so I would think it is well on its way. I think they grow to only 3-4 inches if memory serves me. The H. chilense is much in demand, including by myself.

Please let us know how things go.

kaici

Hello and welcome.

Please post some pictures of the enclosure, lid and T, if you can. Those can be helpful.

Also I believe your T has a different name and that it goes by Homeoma chilense. It changed to this name awhile ago and even got updated in February from H. chilenses to H. chilense to better reflect the gender of the Latin name.

If i am wrong, someone please correct me.

Also I think that 1.5 inches is a good starting size for tarantulas as by that size they have usually developed better protective exoskeleton. Plus yours is a dwarf tarantula so I would think it is well on its way. I think they grow to only 3-4 inches if memory serves me. The H. chilense is much in demand, including by myself.

Please let us know how things go.
I had no idea that the name had changed, the place I got him from even had him listed as a Euathlus so that’s my bad! Will definitely start calling him by the correct name now.

I will attach some pictures tomorrow of his enclosure and his lid as well as him, he has some fake plants, a water dish, about 3-4inches of substrate which is a mix of sedge peat and coco fibre at the bottom and then just coco fibre at the top, he also has a 3D printed skull (thoroughly cleaned beforehand to get rid of any bacteria) as his hide which he has made very slight webbing around and started to burrow Underneath, so I think he’s fairly happy with his enclosure, just seems to be a very keen escape artist! Thanks for the no criticism, I’ve been very worried someone would just flat out tell me I’m stupid and doing everything wrong.

Will definitely keep you updated on the little fella!

kaici

I had no idea that the name had changed, the place I got him from even had him listed as a Euathlus so that’s my bad! Will definitely start calling him by the correct name now.

I will attach some pictures tomorrow of his enclosure and his lid as well as him, he has some fake plants, a water dish, about 3-4inches of substrate which is a mix of sedge peat and coco fibre at the bottom and then just coco fibre at the top, he also has a 3D printed skull (thoroughly cleaned beforehand to get rid of any bacteria) as his hide which he has made very slight webbing around and started to burrow Underneath, so I think he’s fairly happy with his enclosure, just seems to be a very keen escape artist! Thanks for the no criticism, I’ve been very worried someone would just flat out tell me I’m stupid and doing everything wrong.

Will definitely keep you updated on the little fella!
This is his enclosure and also the little guy! If anything looks wrong or uncomfortable for him please let me know as I will have it changed asap.
8FEF2057-E855-48FE-BE1D-651131CA8B88.jpeg
7C605B49-5189-4E8D-80F4-A849596CA084.jpeg
55237D15-6DA0-4466-AC39-631512FAF308.jpeg
5E890D74-E0F4-4824-907B-47DED7EECAF1.jpeg

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
It seems like a very good environment and your T seems to be settling in. That is always good.
I think most common concerns about enclosures has to do with terrarium size : too much height space for terrestrials, not enough for arboreal; too much or too little substrate and make up of substrate; and access to water.

I have not used your type of lid for Ts so i can't say good or not.

Enjoy your T.

I hope to get a H. chilense as they seem very cool. Supposedly they are more active and more curious than many other Ts.

sunset

Hello, and welcome!! Nice looking T!! Your set up seems fine, and your T is making it's self right at home. I have used these enclosures, and have never had an issue with any of my T's escaping. They usually snap on and off fully fairly hard making lid a pain at times to open for cleaning, feeding and watering. I have a T.Vagans in one almost like yours, and It loves to chill either right on top or in a corner with some feet on the lid and some on the ground.
I've even caught it hanging from the top, like an arboreal would to molt, I would bet it's looking for weaknesses in the enclosure for a brisk walk on the two. Lmao. It hasn't had any problems although I was worried it's little toe hocks might get caught but the slits we're plenty big enough.

I've gone on vacation for a week or away for the weekend and other then having someone make sure my slings we're watered and fed, my larger T's we're good till I got back. My friend would def. Make sure they could see them out in their usually spots lmao.

Welcome to the hobby!!
My C. Cyan. Also went through a faze in a different enclosure, I believe it was an acrilic long terrestrial enclosure w the clear bands that hold it together, this one was also always around the slits and the lock, I swear it was trying to stick it's little leg in the clasp to open it. Smh. I know how it sounds lmao
This isn't a great pic of my T.Albo but this is what I was meaning.My T's sometimes are renovating, chilling, or webbing lmao. The life right

Attachments

• IMG_20220702_161053481.jpg
    IMG_20220702_161053481.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

kaici

Hello, and welcome!! Nice looking T!! Your set up seems fine, and your T is making it's self right at home. I have used these enclosures, and have never had an issue with any of my T's escaping. They usually snap on and off fully fairly hard making lid a pain at times to open for cleaning, feeding and watering. I have a T.Vagans in one almost like yours, and It loves to chill either right on top or in a corner with some feet on the lid and some on the ground.
I've even caught it hanging from the top, like an arboreal would to molt, I would bet it's looking for weaknesses in the enclosure for a brisk walk on the two. Lmao. It hasn't had any problems although I was worried it's little toe hocks might get caught but the slits we're plenty big enough.

I've gone on vacation for a week or away for the weekend and other then having someone make sure my slings we're watered and fed, my larger T's we're good till I got back. My friend would def. Make sure they could see them out in their usually spots lmao.

Welcome to the hobby!!
My C. Cyan. Also went through a faze in a different enclosure, I believe it was an acrilic long terrestrial enclosure w the clear bands that hold it together, this one was also always around the slits and the lock, I swear it was trying to stick it's little leg in the clasp to open it. Smh. I know how it sounds lmao
This isn't a great pic of my T.Albo but this is what I was meaning.My T's sometimes are renovating, chilling, or webbing lmao. The life right
Hi! Thank you, he is absolutely gorgeous and is becoming such a little character. He often just sits hangs on the lid, I do worry that his hooks are going to get stuck or his legs in general, he always tries to stick them out of the ventilation holes but doesn’t try to chew and there’s no signs of damage yet, I think he genuinely just wants to come out and explore which I will happily let him do once he’s more accustomed to his home and settled in, I just don’t want to handle him yet incase I startle him it he gets nervous, I know you’re typically not supposed to handle them regardless it’s just becoming very difficult due to the fact every time i take the lid off to try him with food or refill his water he instantly is trying to get onto my hand, seems he’s just extremely curious! I’m extremely excited coming into this hobby and can’t wait to see his progress.

He does exactly what your T.Albo is doing in that pic, just stands and observes I presume, or potentially planning his great escape!

kaici

It seems like a very good environment and your T seems to be settling in. That is always good.
I think most common concerns about enclosures has to do with terrarium size : too much height space for terrestrials, not enough for arboreal; too much or too little substrate and make up of substrate; and access to water.

I have not used your type of lid for Ts so i can't say good or not.

Enjoy your T.

I hope to get a H. chilense as they seem very cool. Supposedly they are more active and more curious than many other Ts.
Thank you for the reassurance ! I was very stressed he wouldn’t like his environment but I put a lot of time into researching to try and get it right but I suppose it’s completely down to each T on their own what they like and dislike, I’m just happy he is starting to settle and become less stressed.

He is indeed very curious, so far I think he has made it his ultimate goal to try and get into my hand which I’m trying hard to avoid as I don’t want to end up stressing him out more!

New2T’s

3 Year Member
Thank you for the reassurance ! I was very stressed he wouldn’t like his environment but I put a lot of time into researching to try and get it right but I suppose it’s completely down to each T on their own what they like and dislike, I’m just happy he is starting to settle and become less stressed.

He is indeed very curious, so far I think he has made it his ultimate goal to try and get into my hand which I’m trying hard to avoid as I don’t want to end up stressing him out more!
H. Chilense are super curious tarantulas. Mine is always moving around it’s enclosure. She always tries to come out of enclosure soon as the lid is open. Is yours a mature male?? You mentioned “hooks.” They are awesome tarantulas. So many ppl want this species.

Latest posts