• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Escapee! Help!

MrKrowe

First, get rid of any insect traps that you have, if any.
Check for native spiders under your sink and remove them
Next, get a heat mat and a small towel, plug it in and set it down on the floor close to where you lost the sling, Put the towel crunched up on the heat mat.
Turn off the heating and water heating in your house so it gets as cold as possible.
Then wait. It will gravitate to anything warm, but it might take a long time to find your trap.

spodermin

First, get rid of any insect traps that you have, if any.
Check for native spiders under your sink and remove them
Next, get a heat mat and a small towel, plug it in and set it down on the floor close to where you lost the sling, Put the towel crunched up on the heat mat.
Turn off the heating and water heating in your house so it gets as cold as possible.
Then wait. It will gravitate to anything warm, but it might take a long time to find your trap.

That was one of my ideas but my sheer genius has managed to retrieve it. I have an incredible video documenting it all I will post shortly.

Thank you very much for the prompt reply and great suggestion

spodermin

I'll never forget to have a dedicated catch cup ever again, holy f

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190530_073813.jpg
    Screenshot_20190530_073813.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20190530_073901.jpg
    IMG_20190530_073901.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20190530_073857.jpg
    IMG_20190530_073857.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
the "heat" method does work. I have a dedicated spider house that is actually outside. I have only had one escape. An O. diamentinensis (christened Dufresne from shawshank redemption after that little episode!!!).

Back to the story. it got out from the bottom of the door into my garden. Luckily (as I now see it) the UK weather was its usual wet and cold bet despite this, I could not find my spider. thinking it was gone for good and would be a victim of either the weather or the local wildlife (hedgehog or birds) I feared the worst but had to continue with the feeding marathon as there was about 200 Ts in there at the time all waiting to be fed. After about 20 mins, my eye was drawn to something crawling up the wall by the door. there it was!!!! Obviously drawn back to the heat source and none the worse for its little jaunt outside. :)

spodermin

Ah, the old Dismantle The House Until I Find My Spider trick. We’ve all been there :)

I didn't even dismantle actually, I stuck my phone through a slit at the top of the inside of the cabinet under my sink, with the phone recording video while hooked up to a TV I set up on my kitchen counter.

Long story short, I could see where it was and what I was doing on the big screen in real time while I fished it out. I'm truly a genius, I know

spodermin

Sorry to triple post but here is the footage. Please don't judge me for going in with sticky trap, this was a dead or alive mission because of the circumstances here I couldn't allow it to go loose. I thankfully managed to retrieve it alive and totally fine, thanks to technology, quick thinking and a generous amount of luck.

My best advice to anyone who finds themself in this situation is stay calm and think of all the other things you've overcome. When there's a will, there's a way.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry to triple post but here is the footage. Please don't judge me for going in with sticky trap, this was a dead or alive mission because of the circumstances here I couldn't allow it to go loose. I thankfully managed to retrieve it alive and totally fine, thanks to technology, quick thinking and a generous amount of luck.

My best advice to anyone who finds themself in this situation is stay calm and think of all the other things you've overcome. When there's a will, there's a way.

* checks catch cup*

****! That’s not a Balfouri.

*franticly checks all enclosures*