• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enn's bunch - the legless ones

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wow, quite a few then!!
The only others I know that fast regularly are the Western Hognoses. I was given 2 when I first started keeping snakes and I'd only had them a short time when they both stopped eating, one for 7 months and the other for 9. I was scared that I'd lose them but they were fine and although they fasted every winter it was only ever 2-3 months.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Wow, quite a few then!!
The only others I know that fast regularly are the Western Hognoses. I was given 2 when I first started keeping snakes and I'd only had them a short time when they both stopped eating, one for 7 months and the other for 9. I was scared that I'd lose them but they were fine and although they fasted every winter it was only ever 2-3 months.

Yeah, there are some other species, of snakes, that are susceptible to going on a fasting period.
I guess Hoggies are one. Although a pair, that I used to have, didn't do that.

Another group, that is susceptible, are those in the pyromelana category. Not all will but there are those who do answer to that internal clock (no matter their temps, lighting, etc.).
Had a pair of Arizona Mountain Kings and, while the male wouldn't go on a definite fast (would just eat, on/off, for a short bit, during winter, before going back to consistent eating again) the female did go on a fast each winter, for a few months, without fail (even without my brumating them).

Of the species I have, now, only the Balls will go on a fasting period.
Well, sometimes, the Garters will too (though not always).
Anyway ...
Some of the Balls will fast for a short period and some for a longer period.
Then, I do have those Ball Pythons who do not fast consistently, each year, and some who do not fast at all.

Despite being used to it (fasting snakes), and though I know they will be fine, etc., I still dislike it very much.
However, love the snakes ... so gotta take the good with the bad.;)

Daniel Gann

3 Year Member
Every collection should include a Ball. These guys are awesome and easily to care for. I have a 1 year old male, Royal i believe. He will eat live or frozen thawed. I order my frozen feeders from South Florida Rodents and it does save money in the long run. I never had any luck in breeding rats, always too many or not enough. I do breed rabbits for my Boas thou and those guys do great.:)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Every collection should include a Ball. These guys are awesome and easily to care for. I have a 1 year old male, Royal i believe. He will eat live or frozen thawed. I order my frozen feeders from South Florida Rodents and it does save money in the long run. I never had any luck in breeding rats, always too many or not enough. I do breed rabbits for my Boas thou and those guys do great.:)

I totally agree. They are one of the gentlest snakes I know. I used to use Royals to overcome peoples fear of snakes.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Feeding time tonight but Mali has a new trick, he grabs his rat outside of his vivarium although normally I can ease him back in, tonight he just didn't want to so I ended up having to hold the rat for him until he decided to go back himself.

DSCF9700.JPG

DSCF9701.JPG

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Feeding time tonight but Mali has a new trick, he grabs his rat outside of his vivarium although normally I can ease him back in, tonight he just didn't want to so I ended up having to hold the rat for him until he decided to go back himself.

View attachment 23330

View attachment 23331
Mine is going on 3months no food. Still very big so im not to worried.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mine is going on 3months no food. Still very big so im not to worried.

Their fasting is legendary. Mali goes through phases of eating for a few meals then skipping a few. Now he's on bigger food I won't offer as often so hopefully he'll not fast as often.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Their fasting is legendary. Mali goes through phases of eating for a few meals then skipping a few. Now he's on bigger food I won't offer as often so hopefully he'll not fast as often.
Yeah, It's one one thing that can be a bit annoying. Since it's a wasted rat. I feel bad the rat died for nothing.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah, It's one one thing that can be a bit annoying. Since it's a wasted rat. I feel bad the rat died for nothing.

My cats get any left so I don't feel quite so bad.

Mali is gorgeous. I think you spoiled him hehe :)

Thank you. There is a point where a snake will not let go of the food so once he'd got it far enough down his throat I knew either I could manoeuvre him back into the vivarium or he'd do it himself.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Other folks in the house ain't fond of snakes. I could get one anyway though..it's just that I want a blue tongue skink first, which will be a great icebreaker for reptiles ;)

Keep it in your room and they don't need to see it. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't know, I find lizards more appealing. Skinks, monitors, iguana, beardies, even those big tegu..I likey the lizards..look a blue tongue in the face..how can you not fall in love? Granted, I'm weird..o_O

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't know, I find lizards more appealing. Skinks, monitors, iguana, beardies, even those big tegu..I likey the lizards..look a blue tongue in the face..how can you not fall in love? Granted, I'm weird..o_O

I love beardies and my son had a Green Iggy, he was gorgeous but skinks and geckos just don't do it for me.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mali has shed overnight. As usual he has shed inside his hide and shredded his old skin.

DSCF0056.JPG

Latest posts