• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ENDANGERED SPECIES

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For those of you who want to purchase/trade/sell Poecilotheria species OUTSIDE of your state, please note that it is illegal to do so with a few of these species as they have been listed as endangered by USFW. If you see your Poecilotheria listed below, it is illegal and a federal offense to purchase/trade/sell across your state line. You may only do so "within" the state you reside in. Just wanted to put this up because we have many new members here and I've noticed some inquiring about Poecilotheria. This protects both the purchaser/seller from fines and/or possible jail time.

The Listed Species

Poecilotheria fasciata. This species lives in the dry and intermediate zones of Sri Lanka north of Colombo. Scientists found >150 individuals in nine locations during the most recent survey. It is categorized as “endangered” on the National Red List of Sri Lanka (a report of the status of regional species based on the IUCN Red List, an inventory of the conservation status of species on a global scale).

Poecilotheria ornata. This species inhabits the lowland wet zone in southwestern Sri Lanka. Scientists found 23 individuals in four locations during the most recent survey. It is categorized as “endangered” on the National Red List of Sri Lanka.

Poecilotheria smithi. This species is found in the central highlands of Sri Lanka in Kandy and Matale districts. Scientists found 16 individuals in two locations during the most recent survey. It is categorized as “critically endangered”, the most imperiled ranking, on the National Red List of Sri Lanka.

Poecilotheria subfusca. This species inhabits the wet zone of the central highlands of Sri Lanka. Scientists found 81 individuals in 10 locations during the most recent survey. It is categorized as “endangered” on the National Red List of Sri Lanka.

Poecilotheria vittata. This species lives in the Hambantota and Monaragala districts of Sri Lanka. Scientists found 22 individuals in four locations during the most recent survey. It is categorized as “endangered” on the National Red List of Sri Lanka.

REFERENCE:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
great info @Casey K. Interestingly, I got a shipment from Poland a few weeks ago. In there was a treat to myself (5 x P met small juveniles for a colony). For the first time I actually got some papers stating the species. P Met not on your list but guess this is the way the whole Poecilotheria genus may be going?

Not illegal in Europe to export but guess there needs to be some audit trail nowadays.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
great info @Casey K. Interestingly, I got a shipment from Poland a few weeks ago. In there was a treat to myself (5 x P met small juveniles for a colony). For the first time I actually got some papers stating the species. P Met not on your list but guess this is the way the whole Poecilotheria genus may be going?

Not illegal in Europe to export but guess there needs to be some audit trail nowadays.

Yeah, I don't think metts are on the list. Anyone that wants a poecie needs to get one....never know what USFW will do. Better to be safe than sorry. I know that the most critically endangered poecie on that list is the smithi so I'm on the hunt, myself. :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, I don't think metts are on the list. Anyone that wants a poecie needs to get one....never know what USFW will do. Better to be safe than sorry. I know that the most critically endangered poecie on that list is the smithi so I'm on the hunt, myself. :)
I know clown shared a gorgeous pic of his that won last months photo comp. Good luck in your search :)

Seamus

3 Year Member
Spider planet have poecilotheria smithi available

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Im just curious. How does criminalizing shipping between states help endangered species? It makes more sense to criminalize shipping out of their endemic countries. Thanks for letting us know

Not sure. It seems they'd want to help the species by allowing hobbyists to produce them. Exchanging them into the hands of breeders would benefit the species. I guess USFW doesn't realize that. I know a few folks that would do this just to populate their natural habitat (if there's anything left of it). That's why it's so important to continue in breeding these species. Hell, idk....I don't make the rules.....and I don't always follow them, either... ;)

Latest posts