• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure too big for sling?

FireNationPrincess

Hello guys! Newby here looking for advice from the pros!

My Brachypelma Vagans shed its skin a couple of days ago and outgrew her enclosure. I transferred it to an old fish tank I had but I’m not sure if the tank is too big for it. I haven’t decorated or added anything because I want to wait to make sure the size is appropriate. So far Leonardo looks comfortable, walks around and climbs the walls of the tank. But WTH do I know?

Thank you!
82F1BCDD-2B1D-4C5E-966F-226C2C0FC67B.jpeg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum! :T:

The tank is not too big, but there is not enough substrate. Optimally you only want 1.5-2x DLS (diagonal leg span) of the T in climbing height so if you T falls it doesn't injure itself/die from the fall. Measure or estimate the longest leg span, diagonally, of your T. The free height from the substrate to the top of the enclosure should be no more than 1.5 to 2x that measurement.

Remove the T, pack the substrate down, water it, add more substrate and pack it down again. Repeat until you fill about half of the enclosure with densely packed substrate.

Add a hide and a water dish and you should be set!

ps. it's "skin" is it's exoskeleton, exo for short

Last edited:

Latest posts