• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure sizes for Brachypelma?

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi all, I’m a bit of a beginner so I am needing a bit of advice,
i am about to set up a shelf or two ( or three) of vivs, for the species listed on my signature, all are sub adult, juvs at the moment, I have four 18” square exoterras, I plan to make rock effect backgrounds as I want then on display , I will replace the lids with drilled Perspex as I know higher vivs can be dangerous but mine will have three sides with rock work so no areas of glass that they can’t get a foothold on it they get too high, so is 18”sq o.k for adults Brachypelma? I know the 3 times legs width rule but I’d like them to have a good sized house,
Would 24” x 18x18” long be better for adults?
I also have about five 12 deep x12 long x 18” high but all my Ts are terrestrial obviously, so not the shape I’d like but if I add 4” + of substrate and then pieces of wood etc that would leave space above that isn’t too tall, would that be suitable for brachypelma juvs but too small for adults? I’d be happy with fewer vivs if it meant better more spacious conditions for them.
Many thanks for any perspectives.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I think an 18" square is a good size for all of your species once they are adult size.

The 12x12 would be good for juveniles, but I'd add about 8" of substrate if they are 18" tall. Just my personal preference.

And I'd love to see pics of your tarantulas and those enclosures. :)

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi @Tortoise Tom thanks for the advice, I’ll go with those then, it’s a little bit of a summer project but once I’ve done the enclosures I will definitely post them here, I can’t wait to get creating!
I have four vivs but I need six vivs,
but then I’m thinking six is nearly eight and eight would look much better now wouldnt it!!;):D

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Hi @Tortoise Tom thanks for the advice, I’ll go with those then, it’s a little bit of a summer project but once I’ve done the enclosures I will definitely post them here, I can’t wait to get creating!
I have four vivs but I need six vivs,
but then I’m thinking six is nearly eight and eight would look much better now wouldnt it!!;):D
8 tarantulas??? Yeah… that's a good starter order.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
I know:) I’m such a light weight compared to some here:D:D
The ideal number just seems to have a habit of rising and I keep seeing another must have!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I know:) I’m such a light weight compared to some here:D:D
The ideal number just seems to have a habit of rising and I keep seeing another must have!
That is exactly what keeps happening to me. I want to try them all. I keep telling myself that one day, sometime down the road, I will sell of all the "excess" ones and just keep my "favorites"…

Yeah right… Like that will ever happen. When I'm old, instead of being the crazy cat lady in the neighborhood, I'll be the crazy old man with all the spiders and creepy crawlies. :D

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Uh oh! :oops:
That’s not good! Someone said the exact same thing to me the other day about ending up like a crazy cat lady! :eek::D
I guess I’m heading towards being the crazy old chameleon and tarantula lady. Sounds good to me!:)

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Uh oh! :oops:
That’s not good! Someone said the exact same thing to me the other day about ending up like a crazy cat lady! :eek::D
I guess I’m heading towards being the crazy old chameleon and tarantula lady. Sounds good to me!:)
Oh… You shouldn't have brought up chameleons… Now we have to talk about chameleons. :D

Okay, what species? I think you might have to go start a thread in the "Vertebrate pet Talk" section.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Oh really?? Sounds interesting
O.k I’ll post some pictures soon, I think you’ll like what I have:) plus there’s a few other verts here too!

Last edited:

Latest posts